Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Highland Terrarium Ideas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highland Terrarium Ideas

Im looking to set up a 10 gallon aquarium as a highland terrarium. Here is one of my ideas for the terrarium let me know what you think any advice or wisdom would be greatly appreciated. I have never had any highland plants so this is all experimental. I have a couple of doubts about if it will cool the tank enough at night the fridge pump would only run after the lights shut off and i will probably be using t5's so over heating shouldn't be a problem. Let me know what you think.
    Thank you in advance,
    Travis

[IMG]Scan0001[/IMG]

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doing all of that fancy stuff for a HL terrarium is a waste on a 10 gallon. Say your plants grow really well like they should with those great conditions they would get, you would have to spend money to set up a bigger terrarium later. Maybe start with a 29 gallon... I even ran out of room in my tall 29 gallon. If you have the space, I would recommend a 50 gallon or larger. You'll never run out of room... Or at least for a while.

Since a mini fridge and all that work would be so expensive, why not just set up a grow rack with that equipment?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice ideas! is the fridge tubing underneath the tank? You may want it on top, so the cold air sinks down over the plants. With two fans, the humidity may drop pretty quickly. Here's the evaporative cooler I made earlier this year, it's pretty powerful but cheap! http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...orative+cooler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pine: Well I have a fully functioning mini fridge just sitting in the garage and I dont have the space for anything bigger cause i have a 55 gallon LL terrarium lol maybe ill switch them
    Drew: I could make a smaller version of that, how low does it get the temps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on your conditions. Mine gets the temps into the high fifties or low sixties, I have a link to a temp calculator on the thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is an age old problem , and when you finally get the temp drops your going to need your going to have massive sweat / condensation running every where so make plans for some kind of catch or drain system i've though a long while about the mini fridge, even did a few drawings but still from all ive read here and there on this forum , i still havent tried the set up yet , ill be watching yours , maybe i can use a few ideas from you, keep us up on how its going.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not sure if this is the route i want to go yet, just kind tossing around ideas at this point. Ideally I would like to get a grow tent and use that as my highland setup but i think my girlfriend would kill me (i havent converted her to the dark side yet). If any one has other ideas on cooling a 10 gal terrarium lmk