What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Flu

• Thread starter NBLD
  • Start date
Our company had a flu shot drive and I had mine. So far so good. There is indeed a lot of controversy about these shots and as they say, "correlation need not be causality". Hope you recover quickly!

Since I am in San Francisco, there are no shortages of Luddite, "let's wave a chicken over your head" schools of "medical" treatment; and homeopathy (and bloodletting , no doubt) is still embraced in some places. There was an article in the local paper about a general avoidance of using Tamiflu this season and plenty of those who saw homeopathy as a valid choice suggested their alternatives. I responded, in kind, and received no less than fifteen very rude personal responses (what does my poor mom have to do with anything?) from local practitioners and devotees; though -- hilariously -- no one bothered to argue with the math. Here, in part, was what I had written:

To those illiterate defenders of homeopathy in the twenty-first century? It is absolute quackery, whose supposed remedies often contain less than a molecule of any “active” ingredient and whose claims, under criticism, that "water has a memory;" or some unquantifiable “vibration,” should go the way of phrenology, medicinal leeches and bloodletting.

For those unclear on the wonky 1796(!) concept, the following: “homeopathic remedies are prepared by repeatedly diluting a chosen substance in alcohol or distilled water, followed by forceful striking on an elastic body, called succussion. Each dilution followed by succussion is said to increase the remedy's potency. Dilution usually continues well past the point where none of the original substance remains.

Here are a few figures for those interested. Hahnemann, homeopathy’s founder, typically recommended a ten (to the negative 60th) dose of the original substance of interest, for any treatment. In that case one would need to consume ten (to the 41st) number of pills (a billion times the mass of the Earth); or ten (to the 34th) gallons of liquid remedy (10 billion times the volume of the Earth) to consume a single molecule of the original substance . . .

Oooh, sign my up . . .

Boston declared a health emergency today bc of all of the cases.

We're still very ill and I think I'll out of work all week. :/

I've had the cold/flu since the weekend before xmas, seems to finally be breaking. Has been a real bummer!

Seems Boston is having a rough go this season.

This flu season is pretty rampant. One of my sons is sick with it. It's like I'm waiting half "knocking on wood" and half waiting my turn.

Back