Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Flu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lost a friend doc sent her home with two antibiotics , and a high fever it kept rising it got up to 104, and they went in her room a little later to find her gone from this life. it is supposed very rough had several family members with it , and they said they had headaches like they have never had in their lives.
    do take care and shake no hands no matter what , and what ever you do,dont lick your finger to get at one of those thin plastic bags in the produce section of the market, i see people do this all the time.yikes

heatherfeather knows the weather! lil hokie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no Jimmy. That is terrible, I am sorry to hear about your friend.

My boyfriend is a paramedic so I think I might avoid him for a while...he is probably going to get it at some point. My friend got it though. She had the shot too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry for your loss, Jimmy.

They should not have sent her home with a high fever. And antibiotics don't help the flu.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It rolled through here. I'm still sick, Joe has been sick. My other three kids got it as well. My wife is the only one who escaped it. It's been a rough one this year.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our company had a flu shot drive and I had mine. So far so good. There is indeed a lot of controversy about these shots and as they say, "correlation need not be causality". Hope you recover quickly!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I am in San Francisco, there are no shortages of Luddite, "let's wave a chicken over your head" schools of "medical" treatment; and homeopathy (and bloodletting , no doubt) is still embraced in some places. There was an article in the local paper about a general avoidance of using Tamiflu this season and plenty of those who saw homeopathy as a valid choice suggested their alternatives. I responded, in kind, and received no less than fifteen very rude personal responses (what does my poor mom have to do with anything?) from local practitioners and devotees; though -- hilariously -- no one bothered to argue with the math. Here, in part, was what I had written:

To those illiterate defenders of homeopathy in the twenty-first century? It is absolute quackery, whose supposed remedies often contain less than a molecule of any “active” ingredient and whose claims, under criticism, that "water has a memory;" or some unquantifiable “vibration,” should go the way of phrenology, medicinal leeches and bloodletting.

For those unclear on the wonky 1796(!) concept, the following: “homeopathic remedies are prepared by repeatedly diluting a chosen substance in alcohol or distilled water, followed by forceful striking on an elastic body, called succussion. Each dilution followed by succussion is said to increase the remedy's potency. Dilution usually continues well past the point where none of the original substance remains.

Here are a few figures for those interested. Hahnemann, homeopathy’s founder, typically recommended a ten (to the negative 60th) dose of the original substance of interest, for any treatment. In that case one would need to consume ten (to the 41st) number of pills (a billion times the mass of the Earth); or ten (to the 34th) gallons of liquid remedy (10 billion times the volume of the Earth) to consume a single molecule of the original substance . . .

Oooh, sign my up . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boston declared a health emergency today bc of all of the cases.

We're still very ill and I think I'll out of work all week. :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had the cold/flu since the weekend before xmas, seems to finally be breaking. Has been a real bummer!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast