What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old Dogs still Rule

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
Here's to elder dogs everywhere. They may no longer have a spring in their step, their hearing may not be very acute, but their sense of duty and loyalty to their family never fades. Tonight Liam(my 2 and a half year old grandson) was climbing on the step stool in my kitchen. Neither Liam's mom or I hovered as he climbed, hey it's only two steps and wedged into a corner. Besides, Liam has been climbing up and down from there safely for weeks now. Well we may not have hovered but Cutter (my fifteen year old lab/corgi cross puppy) laid himself down along side the stool and kept his eye on Liam. Without warning Liam fell backwards off of the stool and landed directly on Cutter. Cutter never moved until his buddy was off of him and on his own two feet again. Then he gave him a good doggy once over to check him out.

Awwww. I love dogs!! I'm particularly fond of the labs myself, such great dogs :)

What does your lab/corgi mix look like? So many possibilities I'm imagining! I know that usually the lab is more dominant when mixing breeds.

IMG_2469.jpg

He is 21" at the shoulder and 51lbs, His coat is lab yellow with a corgis fur type except with a lab's slight oiliness. His body is not as thick as a labs but is still fairly sturdy. he has a corgi's fox face and a slight curl to his tail. (pembrokke corgis have tails that curl if they are not docked). His ears usually hang down but if he wants he can lift them totally up so they resemble a corgi's ear but with a rounded tip. In fact he will lift them upright to the command of "bat ears".

He is wearing a scarf because although he has a corgi head he also has a labs thick neck and no collar except a choker will stay on him. They slip right over that narrow head. Since we don't want to leave a choker on him 24/7 we just leave a scarf on in case we need to hold him for some reason.

His vocalizations include barks, protective growls, groans, does a conversational growl..example when he wants to go out he growls at the door but the tone is completly different then a protective growl. He also "huffs" which is a quiety, under his breath type of short bark. Coyotes do it when they want to alert their pack to danger but don't want the possible intruder to know they have been heard. he will huff if he hears something, usually before going into a full "someone's at the door" barking.

our old lab, annie, used to lay in front of the stairs when the kids were little. if they went near them, she would herd them away. she used to play life guard when they were swimming in the ponds too. best dog ever

Back