What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

awesome feeling of donating.....

So I had extra sarracenia seed and thought to myself "I should donate these seeds to the ICPS since I order alot of seeds from them at blowout prices." So I emailed John at the seedbank wondering if he was intrested and asked him to tell me everything I could do to make it less work on his end. He responded, but them I started feeling lazy. About a week later I saw the seed and told myself "Just package them up, You have benefited from other people doing, now is the time to pay it forward." I sat there at my workbench, making individual seed packets. The whole time I was telling myself this sucks. The seeds are tiny, the wax paper sucks, the packets don't wanna stay folded, etc., but oddly enough I was smiling the whole time. It felt so good to give back to the carnivorous plant world. I had forgotten that I sent the seed out about two weeks ago and was on the ICPS seedbank website. As I scrolled down I saw;
Sarracenia purpurea subsp. purpurea -- MA In Stock (25 available) 5.00 Add To Cart
and it put a huge smile on my face. I just pictured many people eagerly waiting for their order to arrive with pure excitment. Sorry I rambled on and on, just felt like I should share. Maybe something told me that if I share this then more people will stand up and donate their seed instead of letting it sit in the corner of their workbench.
John

The ICPS seedbank is a wonderful deal for many people and it's generous donors like John who keep it going. Sure beats having that extra seed sit in the 'fridge until it gets thrown out.

Funny you should post this. In yesterday's mail, I just received one of my Christmas presents: 9 packs of sundew seeds. I am about to package up several packets of B. liniflora seeds, en route to John's residence.

As I like to say "Membership has its own rewards" including the joys of giving.

I see the D. venusta is down to 1 packet in the donor's only section and zero in the general members area. I'll have to rectify the situation after the next round of pods are ripe in a few weeks.

Thanks for contributing. The international members can benefit from the seedbank too.

Do they ever have gemmae, or is that outside the realm of seeds?

When John was in CA he would give away gemmae on request but since moving to Oregon he no longer grows Pygmy Drosera (too cold).

Gemmae don't store for more than a few weeks so outside the realm of the seedbank.

I was wondering about joining the other day, now I might have to.

I just found out I can send up to 50 packets with the type of permit they have for importations. I'll be donating in the near future, hopefully some madagascarensis and other interesting species.

When John was in CA he would give away gemmae on request but since moving to Oregon he no longer grows Pygmy Drosera (too cold).

Gemmae don't store for more than a few weeks so outside the realm of the seedbank.

i think he has one or two species. But IIRC getting them to make gemmae was hit or miss at times. But he did give me a few that I still have going. So I should be able to share them with peeps . Just shipping this year seems iffy. the weather on the mainland is getting difficult to predict....

Back