What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Family Cat Of 17+ Years Put Down

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date
Congrats on the new kitty Jim!! He's a cutie :).

Sounds promising. Kittens need to be handled before weaning so they will imprint on humans. Otherwise they might always be skittish about being touched or even approached by humans.

So sorry that your cat died, I am happy that it lived to a ripe old age and that you have a new one.

Will wonders never cease.... Sammy actually let me approach him without running away. He's still a bit skittish, but not nearly so.

001-7.jpg

Adorable cat! He looks to be in a good home!

Nice new kitten Jim.

I used to foster kittens for a shelter before they were adopted out, we got one that was about 6 months old and was scared of everything, couldn't even go near him for the first few months without him hissing. I ended up keeping him and 3 years later is one of the sweetest cats ever. Still quite skittish of loud noises but it's no longer shy. When friends would come over two years ago he would hide in the basement as soon as they came and for about an hour after they left, now he goes and tries to sit of their lap.

Anyways, they do come around after a while but it can take some time. Have fun with the new one!

Beautiful cat. When he grows into those feet you're gonna have your hands full. We got a Maine coon (non papered) at that size and he weighed 29 pounds 16 years later when we lost him.

29 LBS!? That's an ocelot!

The key to getting at Sammy is to wait until he stops acting like a kitten and is resting. Then, if he still get too startled, you can pet him. He was on the couch yesterday and I spent about 20 minutes petting this kitten... until I got tired of it!

People couldn't believe it when they saw him and said "Nice dog" and we would tell them he was a cat. We have four indoor cats now, three adopted ferals and one backyard rescue from the 100 degree + August heat (weighed 6.5 # now 16#). The secret is to gain their trust with lots of patience and slow movements around them, when they are ready they will come and check you out.

Now tell the truth, you didn't get tired of petting him, you had other things that needed doing.

Is it just me or is he getting bigger already?

LOL! I had to go to work!

Back