What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Family Cat Of 17+ Years Put Down

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
The cat in my profile picture is no longer. We've been watching Starlight deteriorate over the last few months and when it was apparent that she could no longer eat or use her box and wasn't able to walk across the kitchen floor, it was time.

I'm so sorry. Starlight seems that he has lived a long, happy life.

Sorry to hear this. You may want to pick up a copy of "Paw Tracks in the Moonlight" by Denis O'Connor, the true stories of a man and his Maine Coon cat that he rescued as a kitten in a snowstorm. Very moving.

I feel for ya Jim, mine is turning 15 this year

Even with knowing you as little as I do, I know that was one happy cat.

I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

on one hand it makes you sad but damn that is a great run for a cat (esp if she was an outdoor cat). I lost a cat two years ago that was only 4 years of age and he had so much life left to live. Tragically, he was struck by a car :(

Not trying to jack your thread but just glad to hear she had so much time on this earth

Sorry for your loss Jim.I have two cats (indoors) and I would hate to see them go.They are part of the family,just as Starlight was a part of yours. :-(

Last edited:
:cry:

I am very sorry to hear. That is an amazing run. I wish my cat had made it to 14!

It's always terrible seeing a loyal friend go, I'm sure you gave it a wonderful house for all its life!

:( Oh geez, thats so sad! I can't imagine loosing one of my furry friends. Sorry for your loss.

I'm terribly sorry for your loss. I know how you feel. I remember when my first cat I had died. I got her as a kitten when I was a small kid and she passed away 6 years ago on Dec 25th.

RIP.

I've had a good few years recognizing all your posts by that kitty. Sounds like he/she? had a good run. My two old ladies are getting old as well... time acts quicker on our pets than on our friends and family, sometimes...

My condolences. I've certainly been where you are, more times than I care to recall.

Pets are an awesome responsibility, and it is almost inevitable that they will leave this life before us; one of the sad facts of pet ownership. But the years of joyous companionship they brought will linger in your memory forever, something death cannot take from you. Time does not heal all wounds, as much as some would have us believe. But the treasured memories of time spent with companions, be they our own species or otherwise, can heal most any injury of spirit.

Sorry to hear this. You may want to pick up a copy of "Paw Tracks in the Moonlight" by Denis O'Connor, the true stories of a man and his Maine Coon cat that he rescued as a kitten in a snowstorm. Very moving.

1/9

I came home from work physically and emotionally drained, more than normal. Lynn said she wanted to talk to me about something... but not now... tomorrow. I hate when she does that! I'm like, what did I do wrong now? She said it's actually potentially good news. I could use some good news right now! This morning she told me about a potential opportunity to obtain a Maine Coon kitten, something we have always wanted. They are normally >$200 apiece and we don't have that at our disposal. She was looking through the classifieds and found an ad for 2 kittens, posted in December. She inquired about that and one kitten has been given away. The second one, we think, is still up for grabs. She is waiting to hear back. Do I dare get my hopes up?

chin up ,pets mean so much to us,fingers crossed for the kitten

RIP kitty :down:

I knew some maine coon breeders growing up - there are a lot of reasons for which they can't actually sell kittens at a steep price (e.g. non-threatening possible heart murmurs). So hopefully the one you have in mind works out, but if not, you can still probably find some that aren't 200$ in any case. Or get a manx.. they're the guard-dog of the cat world.

My condolences

Sorry for your loss, Jim. Your avatar picture has always been one of my favorites because of your cat. I've also enjoyed the pictures you have shared.
Good luck with the Maine Coon kitten.

Very sorry to hear of your loss, bro. :cry:

Back