User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys think of the Mosser Lee brand lfs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking What do you guys think of the Mosser Lee brand lfs?

I've been using this stuff, and I have to say that it is pretty sucky. However, it does do its job, but it gets irritating when you have to filter out sticks and leaves. This brand also isn't sterile, so you should microwave it or somehow sterilize it before using it. It is also very hard to rehydrate it sometimes (It has itty bitty mites and tiny fungus sometimes ) It is one of the cheapest lfs brands there are though, but sticks and leaves probably make its value...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use it as a mix amendment for my neps....I consider the sticks to be "drainage material"
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good mainly for putting in the bottom of pots to keep the rest of the media in. I do grow domestic sundews in it. I look through the bags in the store and grab the batches with the fluffiest, lightest colored stuff in it and the least amount of leaves, grass stems etc. And I'll sometimes use it for wrapping roots for shipping. I figure it will get discarded any way, why waste the expensive NZ stuff.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use it as a mix amendment for my neps....I consider the sticks to be "drainage material"
    I do that too, but I take out the "drainage material"...
    It's good mainly for putting in the bottom of pots to keep the rest of the media in.
    I do that also, works pretty good for that purpose.
    And I'll sometimes use it for wrapping roots for shipping. I figure it will get discarded any way, why waste the expensive NZ stuff.
    U. have a point there...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrap, ahem . . .crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrap . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just go with the blonde NZ or Chilean moss if you can. Better in every way: fluffier, looks better, holds moisture better, provides aeration and drainage better, and is cleaner (less debris and less contamination, in my experience).

Mosser Lee is half way to being peat moss, which is generally decent for bog CPs because they're standing in water anyway, but not the best for Nepenthes or plants that like good drainage. But it'll do in a pinch...
    "I'm just a scientist without the proper documentation."

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113724

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all I can find in person and I don't have the money to buy lots of moss online yet so it's what I've been using. Aside from being filled with tons of useless crap it works okay. I can't compare to the other better types of moss tho. I have my seedlings and most of my plants in it now so we'll see how it works.

I think it smells good when it's brand new and freshly wetted :3

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not the greatest stuff, but it certainly has its purpose. Like others had mentioned, I like to use it in the bottom of pots for drainage, as well as wrapping up root balls for shipping. Also good for stratifying seeds; grind it up real fine and use on the surface. No point in using the good stuff if your gonna powderize it.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast