What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great Pictures...It's like the guy riding off into the sunset at the end of the movie...but cooler.

There's a large pond some ways from me near and office complex, that I was considering spiking with U. gibba and Aldrovanda. Probably should not, but the only thing in there is algae and a few mosquito fish.
Introducing new species into a different habitat isn't very great....
@Pearldiver: the consequences of seemingly small, inconsequential additions can sometimes be more significant & longer lasting than you can foresee.

@JRF: while the floating CP island is very cool, it probably would have been a better idea to use species that would not so easily spread their seeds ???

Agreed

@JRF: while the floating CP island is very cool, it probably would have been a better idea to use species that would not so easily spread their seeds ???

The lake is artificial so technically there aren't any native species. It used to be a rock quarry, until they hit the aquifer I'm guessing. I also doubt the sundews could grow on the shores. In the past I sprinkled some Byblis liniflora and Drosera burmannii seeds in wet, sandy areas and they never took off.

I'm just curious; does the floaty have a line attached to it so that you can get it back, or is it just floating around in there? If you have it attached you could check on it every once in a while and cut off any flowers.

You can also procure a thick piece of styrofoam and cut out holes to accommodate the circumference of pots and have that float in water. I was thinking about doing that for utrics.

You can also procure a thick piece of styrofoam and cut out holes to accommodate the circumference of pots and have that float in water. I was thinking about doing that for utrics.

Jim, styrofoam will start to break down in a few months when exposed to the high UV and moisture.

you guys do know that you can just buy these things ready made? i cans see how it might be cheaper to use a plastic bottle raft thing with a pot in the middle, but as some people have said previously, the plastic degrades in sunlight. these look pretty good quality to me, and since the y are made specificly for this purpose, there is probably no risk of something degrading an sinking the island.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/little-..._id=26457100&gclid=CIy0mrm0tLUCFeRlOgodpkEA3A

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12274

you should try growing Sarracenia minor 'okee giant', or S. psittacina like this since this is how they grow in the wild!

Last edited:
you guys do know that you can just buy these things ready made? i cans see how it might be cheaper to use a plastic bottle raft thing with a pot in the middle, but as some people have said previously, the plastic degrades in sunlight. these look pretty good quality to me, and since the y are made specificly for this purpose, there is probably no risk of something degrading an sinking the island.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/little-..._id=26457100&gclid=CIy0mrm0tLUCFeRlOgodpkEA3A

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12274

you should try growing Sarracenia minor 'okee giant', or S. psittacina like this since this is how they grow in the wild!

I saw one recently that was in the shape of a turtle but I cannot remember where it was.

I said pond, but really a man made fish pond. And I said contemplating, but it is not mine, and I could not in good concience do that. And I do agree with your statement, consider Dutch Elm disease and Chestnut blight etc.

Wow that is really cool!

indeed, it is cool! now i want to do this in miniature when i set up my half barrel pond again this spring! have a little pot of sarrs floatin' in it.

Last edited:
Any updates? ^^ I would like to try this on Darlingtonia in a large bucket of water.

Back