Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mealybugs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mealybugs

First off, if this is in the wrong place i apologize, mods feel free to move it if it is. Well, my aunt gave me an orchid around xmas time, and just today i spotted that it was infested with mealy bugs. The plant is on the same table in the window as all of my CP's, but i spot no bugs on any of them and want to be careful and probably treat them any way, the table has the orchid, a few neps, a sar, and a vft on it as well as one succulant and some sage. I have read a few posts here on what to do, but would you all suggest that I should just treat all of my plants even the ones that dont shw any signs of infestation, and a swabbing of alcohol and detergent should suffice until i get paid and can get some insect killer, the bayer brand i have read here a couple of places. Also, what type of detergent for the alcohol mix? And the alcohol mix will be safe for use on the CP's i hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    um i would not use alchohol on my nepenthes because they are very sensitive and it might kill them orchids too unpot the orchid and wash it with tap water till there gone then wet it with distilled water then when you get the insect killer use it on the orchid only

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I would definitely not want to use any alcohol on cp's. You should look into a plant friendly insecticide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take this for what it is, but I have directly sprayed 70% isopropyl alcohol on Nepenthes and various orchid genera without washing it off with little to no harm done. Using q-tips dipped in this alcohol to remove mealybugs should be just fine on the orchid and Nepenthes (assuming its a Phalaenopsis). Never used alcohol on other CPs so wont comment there.

I would treat any plants that was in the same area as the orchid for precautionary reasons. I like to use Neem oil and is safe on Nepenthes, Drosera and Pinguicula in my experience. There is a good video on youtube regarding insecticides and CPs that was put out by a CP nursery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hrmm I guess I was wrong. I had never heard that anyone did that. You learn something every day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would guess that species with thin leaves alcohol would do more damage than species with thick leaves. All the Nepenthes I did this on had relatively thick leaves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some neem oil concentrate somewhere, just moved about a month ago and still unpacking while juggling work school and cycling a new fish tank. I will find it, should i water it down and spray it on the plants, I'll also swab directly with alcohol
    Last edited by agunn1231; 02-12-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the mix is 2-3ml of neem and 2-3 drops of dish soap to 1L of water but ill have to check and confirm tonight when I get home. I'll repost tonight or tomorrow AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast