Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap Tissue Culture

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Drew, I didn't make that. But it seems simple enough to whip up. I found the pic on an, uhhhh, shroom forum..
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pokie that would be awesome! I currently have an email out to everyone I know who has a baby, so we'll see if I can get any jars that way. What do you mean by a loop? How did you make your own PPM? That's so cool! I think using a lighter would be easier, thanks for the recommendation.

@Peat:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Please refer to my thread on Nepenthes TC. A loop is for manipulating seeds/sprouts and can be used in lieu of tweezers which can be frustrating in some instances when the seeds stick. There are ones that are made of metal so that one can reuse them by flaming/autoclaving or there are the plastic disposables that have been gamma irradiated and intended for one time use. You might want to the look for a local "freecycle" mailing list as that is where I procured my baby jars from. As for the PPM, the patent is in the public domain.

Send me a PM with your address and I will gather some stuff for you. Let me know if you want the MS media or not. If so, do you want me to preweigh out some samples for some specified amount (ex. 100ml recipe..etc).

Jen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That thread was very informative. Although I do not have the same access to equipment, I think I can follow much of the same procedure. I'll PM you soon, I really appreciate this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For anyone who would like to read a little more in depth as to what I'm doing: I have to maintain a blog for this project. You can see it here: http://sundrew.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I assume that you will you have access to an autoclave or pressure cooker; and that that information on your blog, wasn't simply an illustration of the typical micropropagation process?

Spores of microorganisms can survive very high temperatures, even sustained boiling, at normal atmospheric pressure. Generally, media has to be autoclaved at 121°C and 1 atm; or 15 psi; or 6.8 kg · 6.5 cm−2 for twenty-five minutes or more (depending upon the volume of the media) . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Anybody who does canning would have a pressure cooker.

My mother calls it jamming.........

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pokie22 View Post
    Anybody who does canning would have a pressure cooker.

My mother calls it jamming.........
    "Jamming," huh? Interesting . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast