Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap Tissue Culture

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pokie22 View Post
    "most of the time the take out has been compromised."
    Having had take-out this evening, and knowing a bit of your background, sleep will not come easily . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richjam1986 View Post
    Agar powder is also frequently used in Asian cooking, and is available at Asian markets (if you're lucky enough to live close to an Asian market). While corn starch may work, it seems like there may be some issues in dealing with it (like the fact that it bubbles up and makes a mess, like you said).

It may certainly be worth experimenting with cornstarch as a medium if agar isn't easily available, but I got a packet of culinary agar power for for like $2 at a nearby Asian market.
    I have agar as well . I got a 2oz container for $5 off of Amazon. Actually I tried my local Asian market, and the man told me that the tsunami in Japan had wiped out all seaweed (and consequently agar) production . This cornstarch was purely for experiments, because it was $1 for a much larger package. I think that if I dye it, it may be somewhat easier to spot contamination.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundrew View Post
    I think that if I dye it, it may be somewhat easier to spot contamination.
    just don't dye it any of the colors that are typical of bacterial or mold infections like yellow, green, blue, red, brown, black... or any color in-between all of those.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol What does that leave me? Neon hot pink?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh man, i forgot about pink...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I may resort to some obscene neon food coloring then. Maybe a purple. First, I need to figure out how to keep the gel from overheating and collapsing in on itself. That is the big problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apologize for a double post, but does anyone think I could use the cheap root hormone you can buy at any garden center in the media as a substitute for some PGRs? I think Mason said that it would inhibit shoot and callus formation, so maybe I could use it when I change flasks. I believe what I have is 0.1% indole-3-butyric acid.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it also contains other compounds, including a fungicide and other crap you don't want in media. IBA is often used in micro-propagation, as an auxin and aid in rooting; but you want to be able to add it in known quantities . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast