Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap Tissue Culture

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's beginning to sound like you are way over complicating this just to save a few bucks. literally only a few bucks... you can buy a starter kit and get started right away for 50 dollars on ebay or buy a deluxe kit for a couple hundred, and if youre serious about doing tissue culture you might as well get the deluxe kit because you'll eventually end up spending that much on supplies anyways...

It's not like your just putting baking soda and vinegar together to get get some instant result, it is a science...

edit: and what i mean by that is you can't just go into your kitchen and pull crap out of your cupboards and do it right

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The purpose of this experiment is not necessarily to get it right. In fact, I barely expect to succeed. What I find fascinating is the problem-solving involved in finding similar chemicals in products that are readily available to a layperson. I think that this educates me more, because it involves more research into what goes into fertilizers, multivitamins, coconut water, etc., then using a predetermined kit. If I were extremely serious about tissue culture, I would certainly by one of the fantastic kits available from the Home Tissue Culture Group. However, this project is more to educate myself on the materials that go into micropropagation, as well as to practice steril lab procedure with cheaper materials that I don't feel bad about messing up with. It's a problem-solving based learning experience.

Thank you for your opinion. I really do appreciate your feedback (especially regarding the colors above), though please do not think I am simply "pulling crap out of my cupboards."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundrew View Post
    Myo-inositol, as in the Inositol I'm using for the original recipe you gave me? When I read about Inositol, there were few specific claims, but it appeared that it helped in nutrient uptake. Thank you for the explanation, that makes more sense. The chemicals hidden away in plants are astounding.
    Myo-inositol is a sugar alcohol and appears in many forms; and is associated with a number of processes, including the formation of membranes and the strengthening of cell walls . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see. I guess i missed the point. Ive done similar things so i probably should have been less of a **** about it. Sorry about that..

Btw i was actually trying to crack a joke about the colors. I should have used a smiley i suppose :-\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's cool man. I did like the comment about the colors, I didn't know mold came in so many forms.

@BigBella: Interesting. Are there any vitamin pills that do have something similar to a PGR in them that you know of? I'm just curious, for now I think I am done buying materials.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are related zeatin and purine supplements, which are readily available. Among the earliest of the PGRs, kinetin, a specific purine, was first extracted from spoiled herring semen. I don't even want to hazard a guess what Miller and Skoog did in their off hours; or, more significantly, how they determined that the semen had turned . . .
    Last edited by BigBella; 03-15-2013 at 11:15 PM.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL (I mean it)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    word around town was that Folke would walk the docks looking for the freshest specimen...

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast