Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Me, Mason, and Graham cracker visit a nursery

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Supposedly, nepenthes can get calcium deficiency from the lack of calcium in RO water. As for the humidity thing, Rob said its better to have fluctuation.. he grows his plants with 60% day and 90% night humidity levels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pictures! That sounds like a super fun trip!
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes sense since acidic soils generally have less calcium availability but can't it be supplemented through food or feed (MaxSea does not add calcium but DynaGrow does)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoyed the pics I was able to visit their nursery many years ago when I was about 13, and really enjoyed it. It was in the springtime with lots of colorful Sarracenia flowers. I should scan and post some of the old photos I have of the place .

Did he mention any other negative effects of using RO water besides Calcium deficiency?

Additional random thought:Why is the type on everyone's posts all of a sudden automatically set to center? It's really annoying me. The only reason mine isn't centered is because I specified my message to be left-type. Just one more step in the writing process. And that doesn't fix how annoying it is to read others messages that are centered. Having the type aligned to the left just makes things flow better and easier to read. Moderators, can that be changed back to automatic left alignment as it was before, please?
    Last edited by richjam1986; 02-25-2013 at 06:47 AM.
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did Robert suggest how you would know if Ca deficiency was becoming an issue? How does it manifest itself?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I remember correctly he said that the leaves will become yellowish and weak.
    Don, yeah he said it can be supplemented by feeding the plant with calcium rich insects or giving it water with some amount of calcium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calcium deficiency typically occurs as chlorosis, distortion, and necrosis of leaf tips on young leaves. Now that I think about it the little lid syndrome maybe a sign of calcium deficiency. Just thinking out loud though.
    NCSU's Carnivore Nut
    Original President of the CCPS & Co-Founder
    Mason M.
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone thought about reconstituting the RO water with some raw tap water before watering? This goes back to when I was breeding discus and mixed 50/50 RO and tap to soften water to encourage them to spawn. Maybe in the case of Neps, use 90% RO to 10% tap (ratio can be adjusted based on the parameters of your water supply) and thoroughly flush with pure RO monthly.

Having said that, RO water is not "pure" water so some calcium may pass through.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast