What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am evil and undeserving of my orchids

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
I was so happy, I had just finished redoing my plant grow rack to give the big guys more room and replaced my aging t12 lights in one section with T8's. Then it happened, I had been waiting over 3 years for my phragmipedium sorcerer's apprentice to grow a fan big enough to support a flower spike. I had told no one of the emerging spike, afraid that it would some how cease to be if I did. Then a split second of inattention when putting the plants back in the rack I hit the spike on the lights and snapped off the growing tip. :cry:

its a very hard thing indeed , its why i moved to carnivorous plants they have the cool traps and pitchers for most of the year,
i am ver sorry for your great loss , i love the phrags and paphs. hope it recovers and blooms next year , or does it have another spike.
id just bite the bullet and try and find and buy one in spike..
again sorry for your loss
jimmy

A harsh occurrence. Perhaps being thwarted this time the plant will try again soon? I am reminded of the time I dumped a tray of valued sundew seedlings on the concrete floor. :-(

To look on the bright side - congrats on your set-up upgrade. 'Sounds worthy of some pride.

its a very hard thing indeed , its why i moved to carnivorous plants they have the cool traps and pitchers for most of the year,
i am ver sorry for your great loss , i love the phrags and paphs. hope it recovers and blooms next year , or does it have another spike.
id just bite the bullet and try and find and buy one in spike..
again sorry for your loss
jimmy

Alas I have no room for a 5'th giant slipper plant, but on the bright side it has two younger fans so I can hope for a spike or two next year.

Holy crap that is so terrible :( I hope it flowers for you again sometime soon.

That happened with one of my Paphs while I was away. If I do that to my new Paph lowii I'm going to scream.

A truly harsh reminder to pay attention to what one is doing. I feel your pain.

i saw this firsthand! albeit with a beginners orchid. after a year of growing orchids and her first own flower spike, my mom broke it off whilst watering
she FREAKED out
all her pride and joy destroyed in an instant
hang in there!

Whats the deal with orchids? I saw one orchid grower while installing cable TV. (I miss that job, you see everything)

Why do people grow them?

Whats the deal with orchids? I saw one orchid grower while installing cable TV. (I miss that job, you see everything)

Why do people grow them?
Because they are the most beautiful flowers ever! I would grow some, but my terrarium is too warm.

Why do people grow them?
We grow them because they are the most beautiful and diverse flowers erver imagined. There are over 10,000 orchid species and they drive collectors mad with a desire to try and grow the most beautiful, the rarest, the hardest to suceed with. They are responsible for world wide crazes that led to expiditions which cost people their lives, cost fortunes but also created fortunes for their sponsers.
Orchids are an addiction both more powerful than and more expensive, for some, than any drug.
Orchids call to you more than any nep or ping ever could.
Read some of the history of orchid huntiing, you'll be amazed.

Last edited:
Back