What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your First Carnivorous Plant!

lil hokie

heatherfeather knows the weather!
Since my last question is doing so well, I will ask my second question now.

What was your very first carnivorous plant? What year did you get it? Is it still alive? Picture(s)!!

I will go first.

Mine was a typical vft. I got it in 2003. Sadly it is no longer alive. It died in 2005/2006.
This picture was taken a few months after I got it. I'd like to say I did okay for my first try. The picture was taken at my Grandma's house over Christmas. I refused to leave it at our house alone.

6f4a8272-5cff-4cd4-9ba5-6639aea961fc_zpsf7ba9f4a.jpg

Your turn!!

I bought a death cube VFT. I carried it around like a teddy bear until it died. At that point I was reading everything I could on CPs, buying the Savage Garden and joining the ICPS. Pretty good for an 8 year old I think.

My first CP was actually a little itty bitty vft that I grew from seed myself, it was one of those kit things. It was growing very well, had it for about a year. Loved it very much, made me very proud. Then on one unfortunate day, an obnoxious 5 year old came over and knocked the little guy and the whole dome of soil to the ground. It was crushed and I was as well. Oh well. To this day though, I have not been able to grow vfts successfully. I just don't get it. That was the only vft that thrived for me.

My first CP was actually a little itty bitty vft that I grew from seed myself, it was one of those kit things. It was growing very well, had it for about a year. Loved it very much, made me very proud. Then on one unfortunate day, an obnoxious 5 year old came over and knocked the little guy and the whole dome of soil to the ground. It was crushed and I was as well. Oh well. To this day though, I have not been able to grow vfts successfully. I just don't get it. That was the only vft that thrived for me.

It probably has to do with some deep rooted issue due to the death of your first one. I suggest counseling.

Lol

Well my first atempt at growing CPs was a junk terrarium kit that had seeds for sarracenia, flytraps, darlingtonia, and something else. It was a predetermined failure.. My first plant was a death cube sundew I bought when I was maybe 9 years old. Needless to say it died due to improper care and neglect. I was a plant murderer back then.

My very first was a VFT from Rainbow Foods plants & gifts section of the grocery store when I was a little kid. I killed it by watering with tap water and the "small hamburger pellets" the label told me to put in the traps. :lol:

My next was an infestation of U. gibba in my manicured planted fishtank which I thought it was string algae and I fought tooth and nail to kill the stuff. None of the fish forum folks had any idea what the stuff was either. Years later I saw it in the Savage Garden book and was like "oh I didn't know it was something cool!"

My actual first CP was a cutting of my uncles "N. alata" (aka. N. Ventrata) that he gave me on Easter of 1999 or 2000 and that started me on the dark path of Nepenthes cultivation ever since.

My first CP was a venus flytrap that I got back when I was 9, I did my best, even got Adrian Slack's book and made a valliant attempt at a bog terrarium for it, but inevitibly it died. The seeds of interest were planted however, and for reasons I can't remember, sprouted 8 years ago when my family moved into another house. I've been growing them seriously ever since.

My first was the typical vft death cube. I promptly killed it. And the next 3-4 i got my hands on, before I did some reading and figured out how to give them a decent chance.

I bought a vft at a super market/greenhouse in Salem NH when I was 4 or 5 years old. Naturally, it did not live very long.

I had a typical vft and d. adelae from death cubes; both got killed when I watered it with tap water and the humidity became so high, rot came.

My First CP's: When I was eight or nine (forget which) I got a kit out of a garden magazine that have venus flytrap seeds, a sundew, and a tiny Sarracenia purpurea (I believe). I have no clue what the sundew was, as it never opened a single leaf before it promptly died. The purpurea did ok for a while but eventually died. Surprisingly the flytraps did the best and I eventually got some of them to reach a couple inches wide...But that was before they died, lol. It's surprizing how long they lasted since I think I was using tap water, and also fertilizing them regularly to get monstrous VFT's as quickly as possible.

I started of with a good old fashion VFT. From there I got a S. 'Judith Hindle' and it went from there.

My first was actually a vft given to me as a kid, but it long since died. This is the first cp I got when I got serious about them a few years ago. Still alive and well. Rescued in fall 2010 from my local Walmart. Took this just a few minutes ago. It's waking up from kind of a lousy winter dormancy.

IMAG0347_zps05f5f872.jpg

my first was a nepenthes ventricosa from hardware store. i kept it for a few years till a house sitter forgot about it :p

Just like almost everyone else, my first CP was a VFT in a deathcube from Lowes, which of course died, followed by a Carnivorous Creations kit from which a single "S. leucophylla" (likely a hybrid) is still alive, from like 5 years ago.

my first cp was either a s. lecophylla or d filiformis neither of which i can grow well now

First cp was a VFT from a local grocery chain bought back in 2010. I managed not to kill it and I eventually got 30+ clones after a few years. Most have been traded away but I still have a few clones left.

2 years, i bought a S. leucophylla from a garden center. I threw it away last year becuase i thought it died when it went dormant

2 years, i bought a S. leucophylla from a garden center. I threw it away last year becuase i thought it died when it went dormant

:ohno:

Back