What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your First Carnivorous Plant!

The time where my mother bought me a vft for my birthday present doesn't count (she planted it in a terrarium in potting soil.)

10 years later:

I did some research on VFTs, bought one, and divided (once) and transplanted in at least 3 times during the first month I had it...during summer. It survived and I ordered a bunch of sarracenia and sundews that fall. I've been trading to supplement my collection ever since!

That would be a flytrap, which I killed just by looking at it.

Yes, I committed second degree herbicide; and I am none too happy about it . . .

The poor Flytrap Kind take our newbie abuse. :down:

How poor? Plants certainly don't have feelings like we or animals do. Do you divide your dog in half when you want two? But chop a plant in a hundred pieces and you can get a few thousand more in tissue culture. It's an interesting concept. Are plants even "alive"? Certainly not on the level of insects, even.

What are plants?

The poor Flytrap Kind take our newbie abuse. :down:

How poor? Plants certainly don't have feelings like we or animals do. Do you divide your dog in half when you want two? But chop a plant in a hundred pieces and you can get a few thousand more in tissue culture. It's an interesting concept. Are plants even "alive"? Certainly not on the level of insects, even.

What are plants?

It was more of a joke than anything else. Chill out.

You're right SDCP, plants don't have feelings, but people do. Plants also don't have a sense of humor, but again people do......well most people.

:p

You're right SDCP, plants don't have feelings, but people do. Plants also don't have a sense of humor, but again people do......well most people.

I don't know Ozzy. I know quite a few plants with a pretty fantastic sense of humor.

Well I know some plants have more personality than some people I've met.

if plants arent alive then who have i been talking to all this time? :lol: i feel so alone suddenly

I talk to my tarantula but she never talks back! :(

Sometimes I think about reading stories to my seedlings..

I talk to fish*German Blue Rams to be exact*, but they just look at me and open their mouths... (You can tell their saying "food, Food, FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!")

I used to wave at my Killifish and say "hi guys!". A. australes they seem to wave at you with their front fins. I miss them, awesome little fishes.

Was this about plants? :lol:

I read about every CP for a few years before i got it to.

Well I know some plants have more personality than some people I've met.

You're never met me :)

Wasn't the best idea for this thread, but I like coming from an unexpected angle every once in a while. "What are plants?" is certainly a question I'd like someone to answer though :-O

Any ideas?

Speaking of plants' sense of humor. Have you seen the cover of the new "Savage Garden?"

41a%2BnLhpfrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Better view at the California carnivores Website.

You're right, I have never met you and I was talking about some people I have met.

I hate to wreck up the flow in here, but it's kinda my thing. My first CP/s were out of a seed catalog about 20 years ago. It was a CP "kit" which included a pathetic (maybe dormant) VFT,and a purple pitcher which was much less pathetic. I don't recall it having a sundew in the kit, but it might have been a trio. I was a young "expert" at everything I was interested in and it was my "expert" idea to repot the CP's into potting soil. I think we all know the outcome of that. The VFT maybe put on one leaf before dying with a quickness and the pitcher put on about the same.

I never lost interest in them critters in spite of my epic failure.

19 years later my first successful attempts with CP's started with the ugliest most fried sundew I have seen to this day. It was unidentified other than being packaged as an "octopus plant". Research showed that is was likely D. capensis. It had no traps left due to "drought" and looked like a pom-pom of petioles. With age comes a bit of wisdom, and I purchaced the SG book and became a member of TF at the recommendation of Sundewman a.k.a. CPlantaholic on this forum. With my new resources for information I have had much more success with the CP's and my "real" first CP is still alive in my care after year now.

My first CP (that stood a fighting chance) D. capensis. It is the taller plant in the back left white pot.
2-16-13CPtent006_zpsffcac582.jpg

Last edited:
One of my favourite lecturers at university is a systematic biologist and has done a heap of research on carnivorous plants. My partner saw how in love I was with pitcher plants and bought me a Ceph and a fancy VFT. They're still alive and putting along nicely, but admittedly, they're not very old.

Since then I've made a bog pot and rescued a pot of standard VFT from a nursery that had no idea how to keep them. I have also started breeding experiments.

Back