Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your First Carnivorous Plant!

heatherfeather knows the weather! lil hokie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Your First Carnivorous Plant!

Since my last question is doing so well, I will ask my second question now.

What was your very first carnivorous plant? What year did you get it? Is it still alive? Picture(s)!!

I will go first.

Mine was a typical vft. I got it in 2003. Sadly it is no longer alive. It died in 2005/2006.
    This picture was taken a few months after I got it. I'd like to say I did okay for my first try. The picture was taken at my Grandma's house over Christmas. I refused to leave it at our house alone.

Your turn!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a death cube VFT. I carried it around like a teddy bear until it died. At that point I was reading everything I could on CPs, buying the Savage Garden and joining the ICPS. Pretty good for an 8 year old I think.
    Brennan
    My growlist: http://bit.ly/VUE0ri

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first CP was actually a little itty bitty vft that I grew from seed myself, it was one of those kit things. It was growing very well, had it for about a year. Loved it very much, made me very proud. Then on one unfortunate day, an obnoxious 5 year old came over and knocked the little guy and the whole dome of soil to the ground. It was crushed and I was as well. Oh well. To this day though, I have not been able to grow vfts successfully. I just don't get it. That was the only vft that thrived for me.
    Gettin there...

heatherfeather knows the weather! lil hokie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
    My first CP was actually a little itty bitty vft that I grew from seed myself, it was one of those kit things. It was growing very well, had it for about a year. Loved it very much, made me very proud. Then on one unfortunate day, an obnoxious 5 year old came over and knocked the little guy and the whole dome of soil to the ground. It was crushed and I was as well. Oh well. To this day though, I have not been able to grow vfts successfully. I just don't get it. That was the only vft that thrived for me.
    It probably has to do with some deep rooted issue due to the death of your first one. I suggest counseling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol
    Brennan
    My growlist: http://bit.ly/VUE0ri

Central Kentucky, United States of America
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my first atempt at growing CPs was a junk terrarium kit that had seeds for sarracenia, flytraps, darlingtonia, and something else. It was a predetermined failure.. My first plant was a death cube sundew I bought when I was maybe 9 years old. Needless to say it died due to improper care and neglect. I was a plant murderer back then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My very first was a VFT from Rainbow Foods plants & gifts section of the grocery store when I was a little kid. I killed it by watering with tap water and the "small hamburger pellets" the label told me to put in the traps.

My next was an infestation of U. gibba in my manicured planted fishtank which I thought it was string algae and I fought tooth and nail to kill the stuff. None of the fish forum folks had any idea what the stuff was either. Years later I saw it in the Savage Garden book and was like "oh I didn't know it was something cool!"

My actual first CP was a cutting of my uncles "N. alata" (aka. N. Ventrata) that he gave me on Easter of 1999 or 2000 and that started me on the dark path of Nepenthes cultivation ever since.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first CP was a venus flytrap that I got back when I was 9, I did my best, even got Adrian Slack's book and made a valliant attempt at a bog terrarium for it, but inevitibly it died. The seeds of interest were planted however, and for reasons I can't remember, sprouted 8 years ago when my family moved into another house. I've been growing them seriously ever since.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast