User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: what the crap??? NOOO! MY SEEDLINGS!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what the crap??? NOOO! MY SEEDLINGS!!!!!!

sooo...this morning, i went into the room i keep aome of my plants in, to turn on their light, just like every morning. i turn on the light, and look at the pots. (i have three pots under this light, one with a little cape sundew(which i thought was dead, but apparently the roots were still alive, and now it has been making a comeback,, and growing nicely) and a few baby pygmies that im growing from gemmae, another pot that i sowwed some sarr seed in (i dont know if they will ever germinate, its been awhile since i planted them.) and this one other one that had some cape sundew seedlings in, and was starting to grow a little bit of fuzzy moss in one corner. i already had a cape sundew and all, but i was looking forward to growing some from seed myself. i look at their pots, an the soil is all full of little holes, all the seedlings are gone and their are fungus gnat larvae all over!!!!!

Last edited by sarracenia_X; 03-14-2013 at 12:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    at least it is a species that will never be hard to get more seed of lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ironically, my most successful solution for getting rid of fungus gnats is..cape sundews!
    the adult plants do a great job of eating them up and (eventually) wiping out the gnat colony..
    but cape sundew seeds and seedlings, not so much.
    sorry..

I would just throw out those pots..(or at least the media)
    not much else you can do.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup, i took the pot out into the garage as soon as i saw this, ill deal with it later... get rid of the media, clean the pots out and stuff.
    Last edited by sarracenia_X; 03-14-2013 at 12:09 PM.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Treatment with Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis (BTi) will get rid of the larvae. It takes a few weeks and you should treat the media long enough to cover the entire life cycle of fungus gnats. There can be potentially 4 generations in your media (eggs, larvae, pupae and adults). BTi will not harm your plants.

It is commonly available as Mosquito Dunks. Just break off a small chunk and put it in water tray. Or put a bit in a container of water overnight and water with the treated solution.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, i have some of those for my container pond. ill put a piece in the media to make sure there gone