Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Greenhouse Thermostat? Help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The metal probe analog controllers generally have about a 4 degree F window in which they function, so if you had the controller set to 80 degrees. It would turn on at approximately 82 and off again at approximately 78.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you can do this with mechanical ones Im not sure, but with digital ones you can set the differential for when it kicks on and off. The Ranco thermostat would allow you to set this function.

One thing to remember Pine, these thermostats completely cut power off and on. This means you must make sure the heating or cooling unit you're using turns back on after the power has been cut. You can test this by unplugging the unit and plugging it back in, if its heating/cooling after you plug it in again you'll be fine. Many new heaters and cooling units have digital thermostats and are designed in a way that doesn't allow this style of thermostat to be used.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neither have digital thermostats on them so I think they should be fine. I have the swamp cooler plugged up to a timer, so it is definitely fine. I'll try the heater though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two thermostats ordered. Thank you to everyone who has helped! I'll post an update on how they work when they get here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They got here and they've been working out great! I unboxed them and it gave directions to turn them from cooling to heating thermostats, so I assumed they were wired for cooling. I spent over an hour trying to set it for my swamp cooler to finally realize it wasn't working right... I rewired it and it worked out well. Since the cooler thermostat is in the sun, it cools down much slower than it should, so it turns on at about 82F and turns off at about 72F. The heater has been keeping the greenhouse exactly 54F at night which is nice. I don't have to go out in the dark and set it anymore.

Thanks to all who helped!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they do have a digital plug-in AC thermostat you plug your AC into and that you can set the temps, and times for about 25.00-30.00 at Lowe's/HD
    I believe they still carry them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123