Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greenhouse Thermostat? Help!

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greenhouse Thermostat? Help!

I need a thermostat for my 6ft x 8ft greenhouse to run my swamp cooler and my heater. I want it to stay between 50F and 80F as a target temperature range. Can somebody point me in the direction of a good thermostat or a website that I can buy one from?

I would really like one that I can just plug both the heater and swamp cooler into and plug the thermostat into the power strip in the greenhouse. Do they make those? Anyone have a link? What do you use for your GH thermostat?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wouldnt a hygrotherm work do you what the wattage is for the swamp cooler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They make what are called portable thermostats which can be plugged into any outlet and the device then plugs into the thermostat. I am not aware of any that will do both cool and heat in a single unit though. Probably easier to get separate units, one for the heater and one for the cooler.
    http://www.kkontrols.com/poth8ftco.html
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your heater & cooler don't use over 1000 watts at a time a Zoomed Hygrotherm will control your heating/cooling and humidity all in one but if your devices are more than 1000 watts you may fry it out and need to go with a more heavy duty model.

Hygrotherms are a bit cheaper now than when I bought mine:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hygrotherm-T...item1c1d402233

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you control both a heater and a cooler with a single unit though? I have never used one but from the description online it sounds like it will do either or but not both?
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah he'll have to decide which one he wants it to do, heat or cool depending upon time of day/time of year.

I have mine set to cool day and night year round but you can have it warmer at night and off during the day depending on settings. If he's using a swamp cooler I assume he's using it for both cooling & humidifying so that could potentially go into the humidity input cord and he's wanting a heater for night time which could be plugged into the thermostat input cord. In summer he'd have to switch it around and maybe put an exhaust fan on the temperature input to push out that hot GH air and switch some of the controller settings around.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ach... The heater is 12.5 amps at 120v (1500w) and the swamp cooler is 5.5 amps at 120v (~600w)... So it must work with those. I see the one you have linked to, Tony, should work. I guess I need two. Do you know where the plugin is on the device? Is it the three prong hole I see on the back of the plug head itself?

Thank you for all your answers, everyone! This will really help me out since I won't have to set the heater every single night. Should help cut the electric bill down to a fifth of what it is now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is another slightly cheaper version of what Tony posted PSP300
    I believe this can also be set up to not run at certian times and such.

I have never used this, so I cannot vouche for its quality.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast