Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pics From My Recent Trip To Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pics From My Recent Trip To Florida

Hello everyone. Hope everyone is doing okay. Recently returned from Navarre Beach in Santa Rosa CO Florida. While I was there I stopped at a few places to search for CPs.

Blackwater River State Park

This was the first stop I made. I wanted to find S. flava var. atropurpurea since its one of my favorite sarracenias but didnt get to search as thoroughly as I wouldve liked. I made plans to stop and search again on my way out but it started raining and the family was ready to go. I did get pics of sphagnum, utrics and D. intermedia.

The park was really beautiful. The river had white sandy beaches and an average depth of 2.5 ft. The black water in contrast to the white sand was really nice. Heres a few pics of the park itself.

The sphagnum

The place where I found the most sphagnum was very cool. I tried not to step in it but it seems someone took the "leave only footprints" saying a lil too literal or they might have just not noticed it. Not everyone is interested in sphagnum I guess. There was some kind of utricularia growing here too but I dont know much about them so I couldnt ID it.

Few clumps of miniature sphagnum

D. intermedia

Pretty orchid-like flower

Post more pics later or tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, for sure post up the rest of the pics. Did you end up finding any S. flava var. atropurpurea there? I only recently moved to Florida, but have gotten a few tips of good spots to go see native cp's in the wild. This looks like it was a nice hike, definitely added to my list of places to go before the weather gets too hot to want to!

heatherfeather knows the weather! lil hokie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow I love the white sand!! And the CPs of course!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe small purple/blue flowers are Calamintha georgiana?
    a mint I think. but hmmm says this one is endangered?

http://hawthornhillwildflowers.blogs...georgiana.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taargus-I didnt find the atropurpureas but, unfortunatley, BRSP was the site I searched the least. I'm sure theyre there somewhere but the park is massive.

Heather-thanks!

KMman-I think thats it. Thanks! It was the only plant I saw the whole time I was walking the trails so that its possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yellow River Marsh Preserve

This is where I went the second day of my trip and it was, by far, the best place I had a chance to see. There were leucophylla growing everywhere. Was really amazing to see. There were also drosera capillaris and drosera filiformis var tracyii. The filiformis looked incredible...nice healthy plants in lil dew fields. The capillaris littered the ground and theres is zero chance of walking the trail without smashing a bunch of them. I tried and realized they were so plentiful there was no way to avoid it and growing with it was some kind of utric, I think. The yellow flowers.

Mosquitoes here are bad so if you go be prepared.

The drosera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sarracenia

These were growing everywhere but mostly alongside the road in drainage ditches. There were a few clumps around the marsh but hundreds growing alongside the road. Not many pitchers this early in the season but was still lucky enough to find some open pitchers and some really pretty red leucophylla. Very impressive but i'd love to see them in a couple of months.

Sorry for some of the blurry pics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those open leucos are beefy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast