Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Happy Mud Season!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy Mud Season!

I love this time of year!!!

I would post an amusing comic, but I'm not quite sure how.

Anyway, yay petrichor!!!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! I had to Google this. It was a new term for me:

Petrichor (pron.: /ˈpɛtrɨkər/ or /ˈpɛtrɨkɔər/) is the scent of rain on dry earth. The word is constructed from Greek, petra, meaning stone + ichor, the fluid that flows in the veins of the gods in Greek mythology. It is defined as "the distinctive scent which accompanies the first rain after a long warm dry spell".[1]
    The term was coined in 1964 by two Australian researchers, Bear and Thomas, for an article in the journal Nature.[2][3] In the article, the authors describe how the smell derives from an oil exuded by certain plants during dry periods, whereupon it is absorbed by clay-based soils and rocks. During rain, the oil is released into the air along with another compound, geosmin, a metabolic by-product of bacteria, which is emitted by wet soil, producing the distinctive scent; ozone may also be present if there is lightning.[4] In a follow-up paper, Bear and Thomas (1965) showed that the oil retards seed germination and early plant growth.[5] This would indicate that the plants exude the oil in order to safeguard what water there is for themselves.
    Being in WNY, I can tell you that you are in for a good lot of rain for the next few days. I just collected 3 gallons of rainwater in plastic tubs, from yesterday's activities!

FWIW, Go Red Sox!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet!!! I have to empty my bucket that's on the balcony today. It's full.

Petrichor is my favorite word! I love the way it sounds, looks visually and means.

GO SOX!!!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! My favorite words are, 'chillax', 'groovinous', and 'kyewt'.

More rain a-coming...

Anybody but the Yankees, right? I've been a Red Sox & Celtics fab since I was a pre-teen... and I grew up on Lawn-guy-land.