Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Stuff Happening

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stuff Happening

Just making a thread for posting whatever I got going on. Today, it's mostly flytraps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S. x Catesbaei flower bud

S. x Catesbaei flower, nice! Kinda musty smelling though

I made a bog garden out of a big flower pot

There is a one inch PVC pipe for watering and checking the water level. I sawed lots of slots in the part of the pipe underground for the water to move around. While holding the pipe in place I scooped in straight perlite till it was 6" deep, then mixed 2:1 peat/perlite for the next 8", and topped it with 6" of straight peat moss. There's a S. 'Tarnok', S. purpurea, 2 small VFT 'Dente', and two extra D. capensis in there so far. I want to get some hardy sundews for it yet, and another clone or two of VFT. When winter comes I'll drag it into a corner of the unheated garage and hope everything lives

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice plants ! I love your red binata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Maiden, it's seed grown from ICPS, pretty good color on it so far.

I've been real busy last month building a new orchidarium, getting plants outside, and propagating!. One thing I did that I thought you'd all like to see are my schmancy sarr pots. I needed to pot up three Sarracenia divisions a few weeks ago. They'd been sitting in the fridge waiting for warm weather. I decided the big store-bought ones are too expensive, and hard to find ones without drainage holes, so I set out to make my own. I got free 30 gallon barrels from work and thought they'd make perfect sarr pots .

I cut three in half and used the bottoms for pots. For easy watering and level checking I cut pieces of 1" pvc so they were just a bit longer than the pots were tall, and cut a bunch of slots in the sides.

I filled the bottom third with perlite, the middle with peat/perlite, and the top third with straight peat.

I had three plants, a Scarlet Belle, xCatesbaei, and Doodlebug.

And here is one planted up.

All three.

They've been working great so far. I can just peer down the tube to see how much water is in them, and stick the watering hose in it and not disturb the sphagnum on top.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awesome cps!