What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shortbus' Photo Thread

New ceph

That does look funny. Etiolated?

The red/maroon pot in the background was the first plant I ordered with the broken growth points under the 2 clear cups. Sadly that little thing cost 5 dollars more than the one pictured.

Maybe you've got an incredibly rare "climbing form" of Cephalotus, and we're all going to want one!

Assorted seedling drosera except the clump of aliciae which was a root cutting.

and a NoID ping and D. brevifolia I picked up from trades this spring. Lightings bad on this one. The ping is far prettier than the pic allows.

Pinguicula agnata

Last edited:
Pretty. The blue coloration on that ping is stunning.

I agree and thanks! The pics I have seen of this specie has not done it justice! Thank you for checking in. PS: I don't care what they say about you! I don't think your consumption of mushrooms is excessive lol. :)

Pretty. The blue coloration on that ping is stunning.

OK work delayed for weather, which means update time!
So I have been working on putting some Utricularia species into containers where I could view the traps and get the action from below ground. Similar idea with a corkscrew plant in Peter D'Amato's book was my inspiration.

And the unsuspecting bladderwort in these shots is U. longifolia

Here it is with the black duct taped outer cup replaced.

Here clockwise from the top is a NoID ping, some Drosera capillaris 'long arm' seedlings in a patch of Utricularia bisquamata, and Drosera brevifolia at the bottom.

Here is Drosera prolifera in a sea of Utricularia bisquamata. The D. prolifera has three flower stalks not in the frame producing plantlets.

A view out over some of the collection.

A NoID VFT comin' for the camera. NOM NOM NOM!

Drosera graomogolensis nestled in a patch of U. praelonga x livida and shouldered by Drosera capillaris 'Long Arm'

Drosera filiformis ssp. filiformis and Drosera 'Albino' x aliciae in the left background and Drosera capensis x spatulata in the right background.

Drosera 'Nagamoto'

Drosera aliciae. In the background from left to right: Droseras spiralis, capensis x spatulata, hamiltonii, and capillaris 'Long Arm'

Drosera collinsea in middle left, clockwise from the top around collins': venusta, cape x spat, and in the bottom left is capensis - narrow red

Was trying to get a better pic of Utricularia longifolia behind the NoID VFT.

Drosera capensis x spatulata in all it's glory! I really like this hybrid! It's durable and fast and easy. What more could you want out of a sundew? ???

Oh wow I do really like that capensis x spatulata. Makes me want to add that to my collection. I have both so I may need to attempt to make the cross myself. Should be fun.

What the heck is this? Found it in a shady wet part of a yard.
Here are the palm tree shaped flowers or fruitbodies of some sort.

This is the best I could do for detail on the "foliage" seems to lie flat on the soil surface.

Those are Liverworts, a type of ancient bryophyte. Virtually unchanged since the fossil record (to be played at 33 and 1/3, of course), these strange things reproduce by spores, not seed. The palm-like bodies you see in the photo are the female stalks, known as archgonia. I see no male stalks, which suggests that this species may be dioecious (male and female plants are separate, like the Nepenthes; either/or, but not both). Some species can also reproduce asexually via "gemma cups" which form like little bird nest shaped organs on the surface of the flat thallus ("leaf" surface), and the gemmae are dispersed by water splashing on the plants.
You can see gemma cups on the thallus surface in this photo, and the cups are full of gemmae, waiting to be dispersed by rain:
2588913415_b220506454.jpg

Liverworts are quite fascinating.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marchantiophyta

Last edited:
I think of liverworts whenever I see pygmy Drosera splashing out their gemmae. It was the liverworts that figured it out first!

It's incredibly difficult to get college students to see how fascinating liverworts are. Same thing whenever I explain Sphagnum moss. Playing with their phones is more important.

Last edited:
I think of liverworts whenever I see pygmy Drosera splashing out their gemmae. It was the liverworts that figured it out first!

It's incredibly difficult to get college students to see how fascinating liverworts are. Same thing whenever I explain Sphagnum moss. Playing with their phones is more important.

Playing with phones IS more important! Duh! (sarcasm)

May have to add liverworts to the plants collection! These are soo cool! Thanks Whim for a great explanation. :) If I can't keep them going I will just say I went to the doctor and had them removed. :lol:

For cultivation I recommend extremely high humidity. I keep the ones at work under a misting bench. While they appreciate being fed, this can cause algae and you have to strike a careful balance.

The gemma cups remind me of Utricularia pubescens stolons with the indentation. Interesting plants.

Very cool. I think that indoor greenhouse might be useful here. how do you light it? Is it in front of a window?

P. agnata

Last edited:
Back