I water my plants with tap water all the time. I fill a large bucket with tap water and let it sit for a day before watering the plants. Stockton's water report - http://www.stocktongov.com/files/ccr.pdf
I know my tap water is bad because I have grown cps at one point with them and they died...and they didn't even die right away. It was a very slow process. I have already bought a few gallons of distilled water from my supermarket and I just ordered a 150 gpd ro filter...the one I have currently is a 50 gpd....reallly slow going to give it to a friend. One time I noticed about distilled water nowadays in supermarket is that the store brand is .20 cents cheaper and the name brand is .20 cents more expensive....
Originally Posted by lance
The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever
Advice: Don't use tap on your plants for more than a couple weeks. However, if you can completely evaporate a potful of it (preferably by boiling it) and you don't see white residue at the bottom of the pot, MAYBE you can use it for longer. Letting it sit also might help some of the harmful chlorine to evaporate, but carnivorous plants are far pickier about water purity than fish. (I think the leave-your-water-out-for-a-day-and-you-can-use-it procedure came from the fish industry, but carnivorous plants are not fish.)