What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing live sphagnum moss - what do you do with yours?

Cindy

Staff member
I have between 5-7 species of LSM and do not know their real ID except for three but I do notice that some do better in the breadbox than being grown with wet feet. A couple are forest species but I have them mixed up with those that are bog species. :-(

For the past few months, I've been trying to grow each species in the following set-ups (1. shallow containers with fluctuating water level and 2. transparent breadbox with weekly misting of water) to see which is more suitable.

bread_box_adnata_zpsc0e758e6.jpg

LOL good to know I'm not the only one who collects different species of Sphagnum. :lol:

You should try growing some outside. In low light and high humidity (any terrarium) they will grow tall and thin. As soon as you stick them outside, they turn more robust and could even turn different colors. I think they may grow faster in the sun as well. You have an nice collection of plants there! :)

Where does one get starts of Sphagnum moss to grow in their Neps pots?

I have between 5-7 species of LSM and do not know their real ID except for three but I do notice that some do better in the breadbox than being grown with wet feet.
On an excursion in northern NC a few years ago, I located a small-tufted species growing on the sides & top of a ditch next to the road. I took a small sample and grew it for a few years. Similar to your observations, I also found that this species did not grow well with "wet feet". Being somewhat frustrated with it not growing well for me, I set up a few comparison cultures with 2 or 3 types of moss next to each other in a few containers. In the one with water on the bottom, my 'normal' LFS grew like a weed & the NC moss didn't move. In another container without excess water, they both grew well.

This NC species was the first LFS that was easily differentiated from the others in all phases of growth (for me anyway).

Where does one get starts of Sphagnum moss to grow in their Neps pots?

If you want plain old Chilean sphagnum, you can buy the cheap ugly long fiber sphagnum that they sell at Lowes or Home Depot. It hasn't been sterilized so in the right conditions it'll just produce new growth.

Chilean live sphagnum is actually the kind I have the most luck with (it grows the fastest in my conditions) so it works out well for me.

Back