Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have similar issues here in illinois, last years drought was quite bad and you never know when its going to rain. So this yearI made two rain barrels out of 32 gallon garbage cans. I set them out about 2 weeks ago and they are both full then i drained them into gallon milk cartons for further storage. You might want to consider a similar aproach.

Central Kentucky, United States of America
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks you guys! I'll have to try those things out. I have a bunch of five gallon buckets laying around. I'll have to set those out the next time we're expecting rain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My R/O unit cost me about $70 and does 75 gpd.
    "Only when you live to learn, will you learn to live"
    GROWLIST

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plant Planter View Post
    I've never personally seen a reverse osmosis unit. I just go to CVS or put a bowl out when it rains, since I do favor rain over distilled water--it's natural and probably has a bit of nitrogen dissolved in it. The bowl thing probably won't work for you, though, unless you get a bunch of bowls to increase the amount of water you get when it rains. Then you can just put all the excess water in a big jug and use it as necessary. It never will evaporate--it's got nowhere to go.
    a bowl of rain huh? I keep all of my plants out side and during the summer I go through 30+ gallons a week. I got tired of running after water every day. I used the CVS machines only when I did not feel like driving further to the water store. The CVS machine around here were running at about 60PPM and the water store ran at about 35PPM. My R/O runs about 17PPM.
    "Only when you live to learn, will you learn to live"
    GROWLIST

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a nearby accessible creek or bog that you can quickly fill up gallon jugs? That's what I do.

Central Kentucky, United States of America
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a creek that gets fueld by the stormdrains in the subdivision. I'm sure that the water out of the creek would kill the plants faster than tap water haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for a RO unit, I actually use one to create drinking water, reef water, AND water for my CP collection. They're not too expensive of an initial investment you just have to stay on top of its maintenance. I also like it over store bought water because a RO unit's water has lower TDS (total dissolved solids).

You might also look into legit rain barrels that use your house's gutters. I have a 50 gallon rain barrel and a lot of surface area on my roof, in a decent enough storm it gets filled!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12