Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water!

Central Kentucky, United States of America
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water!

Hello all! I have a question for you guys. Since I am a newb when it comes to growing carnivorous plants and this will be my first summer growing them I need help with maintaining the proper level of wetness carnivorous plants need. I know that a tray method of an inch of water at the bottom of a waterproof tray works best. Here's my problem, where I live, central Kentucky, gets scorching hot summers with very little rain and lots of hot dry winds. Today the tempurature was somewhere in the mid to high 80's and the water in my trap completely evaporated. I know that if my dissolved mineral content in my tap water is low enough I can water them with that, but we have really hard water at my house. Do you guys know I any efficient way to keep the water in the tray longer? Or at least a good way for me to refill the tray without having to buy gallons of distilled water a week. If it helps I can pot pictures of my setup or attempt to post pictures of it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just make the drain hole in my outside mini bogs a couple inches below the surface level... (mine are probably 18" deep)
    This gives me much more storage capacity and require much less maintenance, I rarely have to water mine.... and I too am in Kentucky.

Been doing it that way for many years....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep the whole tray in a nice, scorching-breezeless southern facing window?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before I got my R/O system I was doing the same thing. I just bought a 3.5 gallon bottle and filled it at the Water Store or in a bind at the water machines that are always outside of grocery stores.
    "Only when you live to learn, will you learn to live"
    GROWLIST

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    R/O unit is a great investment though
    "Only when you live to learn, will you learn to live"
    GROWLIST

Central Kentucky, United States of America
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Av8tor, I don't think my mom would like me digging up her flower beds. She takes a lot of pride in them..
    Biozest I would but my mother is an extreme neat freak. I used to have them inside on a southern facin window in a room we don't even use but she still got mad because "they didn't belong there and I (as in she) has to take care of them. (Which is a lie she never even looked at them once she just hates stuff being in her "way")"
    Sgt what do you mean the water machines or water stores? Also how much would a small RO machine cost? I would probably end up gettin one if they were fairly cheap.

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Morpheus,
    Most grocery stores have machines (either inside or out) for refillign distilled water. It normally costs at most, .40 a gallon.

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never personally seen a reverse osmosis unit. I just go to CVS or put a bowl out when it rains, since I do favor rain over distilled water--it's natural and probably has a bit of nitrogen dissolved in it. The bowl thing probably won't work for you, though, unless you get a bunch of bowls to increase the amount of water you get when it rains. Then you can just put all the excess water in a big jug and use it as necessary. It never will evaporate--it's got nowhere to go.
    Last edited by Plant Planter; 05-16-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast