Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S. purpurea will survive in WV without any problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    I think the forum member's forum name is JBL. I've visited him once. He's visited me once. Another one is your area is elgecko (Steve Swartz). We've visited each other like 5X. He and JBL initiated a local CP group, called SEPACPS.
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to keep an eye out for them. As a matter of fact if you can and are willing, I'd happily give you my contact info to forward to them. Pm me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for all the replys im just going to go for it next winter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, normally when we have these conversations it is a given that we are not referring to S. purpurea!
    because everyone knows it doesn't apply.
    but I guess I shouldn't assume everyone would know that..
    So take my post above and append: "the above applies to VFT's and all Sarrs except for S. purpurea, and a few Drosera" to the end of it..
    (I will try to remember to add that clarification in the future..)

Quote Originally Posted by The Lorax View Post
    thanks for all the replys im just going to go for it next winter
    Dont..odds are very high you will regret it.
    but let us know what specific plants you have, how they are growing now (in pots? in a bog?)
    and what you intend to do with them for next winter..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pardon my noobie ignorance, but there are Sarracenias which are generally not spoken of here? Please pardon any breach of this etiquette I may have committed, it was completely unintentional and a result of ignorance and not malice. Boy, it definitely takes a while to learn the ins and outs of this forum, I'll tell ya!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    these are my plants but i know some wont make it. im not putting all these out
    Sarracenia Purpurea
    Sarracenia Rubra
    sarracenia psittaccena

Drosera spatulata
    Drosera Multifidia extrema ---- sorry i cant spell
    Drosera regia
    Drosera capensis "Alba"

primrose butterwart
    the one withe the red flower not even going to attempt to spell it

and various Nepenthes hybrids i'll say those some other time
    Last edited by The Lorax; 05-22-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you ever checked your exact area on a USDA Agricultural Zone Map? You can do it by zip code http://www.garden.org/zipzone/. Apparently WV has a wide variation for such a small state, no doubt altitude related. I live on the edge of zone 6B getting into 7A in PA. Both of those zones are present in WV as well as colder ones. There are also other factors such as proximity to water, sun exposure and topography that can create microclimates within the zones. There are man made means of affecting microclimate greatly. For example placing plants tightly against a south facing foundation can functionally raise one a full zone or more in terms of what one can grow. My own area that I grow CPs in is just such a situation, with a twist in the form of a blacktop driveway intersecting a black slate patio which abuts said south facing foundation. I have a zone 8 hardy Rosemary bush going on 6 years old that has never received more than good thoughts in the way of winter protection at the exact inside corner. I'm putting a zone 8 fig next to it that I actually will protect, so it doesn't die back to the ground each year. 12' away along the foundation two half barrels sat above ground all winter with my CPs in them. We had a a pretty cold winter, but not much snow. Lots of freeze/thaw cycles, including a very rare for around here solid week with temps below freezing 24/7. Lows in the low single digits. All of my CPs made it, my Grass Pinks and Rose Pogonia were the only losses. Survivors included: Typical VFT, Droseras, all Sarracenias including a death box leucophylla.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you say "these are my plants but i know some wont make it. im not putting all these out"
    are you thinking that they are *more* likely to die if you put them outside? and less likely to die if you leave them inside?
    if so, the opposite is true..
    they are *much* more likely to return to good health if you put them outside, and much more likely
    to languish and die if you leave them inside..

Im not quite sure what you meant by that though..which is why I ask..

Scot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12