Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter

Ok i am wondering i hear how you can over-winter cp's out side and ive been afraid to do so would it survive i live in north centrel wv near morgantown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In SE PA I have them in half barrels above ground. The spot is southern exposure and is surrounded on two sides by dark colored masonry and on the third by my house. No added protection for the winter. Sarrs, Dews, a VFT and assorted associate bog plants all made it through last winter, which was kind of cold as winters go around here.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SE PA?! I used to live in Wyomissing! Anyways, a friend in Norristown kept his plants outside all year long, but also had to mulch them. I have also had them in the unheated attic, where it drew some heat from the apartment below, so as not to freeze them to death. Last year I had them in an unheated garage, in an 80qt cooler. They still froze but apparently not enough to kill them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Norristown! I live just outside Norristown in East Norriton! My chosen spot is really a cheat of sorts. At the inside corner of my driveway and patio I have a zone 8 hardy cultivar of Rosemary that's 5 years old and has never been mulched. I'm getting ready to move it to a slightly less favorable spot to make room for a fig that isn't supposed to be hardy around here either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes they can survive, however it's always risky to leave them unprotected. I have been very successful the last two years by letting them freeze a few times and then bringing them into my unheated garage just to protect them from extremely cold temps below 25.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the forum member's forum name is JBL. I've visited him once. He's visited me once. Another one is your area is elgecko (Steve Swartz). We've visited each other like 5X. He and JBL initiated a local CP group, called SEPACPS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people can overwinter CP's outside, some cant..
    it depends on where you live, and your climate.
    Zone 6 and colder, you usually cant overwinter outdoors..
    Zone 7 and warmer, you generally can..

(yes I know..in the north some people do successful overwinter VFT's and Sarracenia outdoors..
    but they are the exception, not the rule..
    you need a large in-ground bog, with HEAVY mulch..for the average hobbyist, growing plants in pots,
    you cant overwinter them outdoors in Zone 6 or colder..)

In West Virginia, IMO its not workable..you probably cant successfully overwinter plants outdoors..
    its simply too cold.

More info:
    http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/sco.../CP/page2.html

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    Some people can overwinter CP's outside, some cant..
    it depends on where you live, and your climate.
    Zone 6 and colder, you usually cant overwinter outdoors..
    Zone 7 and warmer, you generally can..

(yes I know..in the north some people do successful overwinter VFT's and Sarracenia outdoors..
    but they are the exception, not the rule..
    you need a large in-ground bog, with HEAVY mulch..for the average hobbyist, growing plants in pots,
    you cant overwinter them outdoors in Zone 6 or colder..)

In West Virginia, IMO its not workable..you probably cant successfully overwinter plants outdoors..
    its simply too cold.

More info:
    http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/sco.../CP/page2.html

Scot
    Given some of the places where purps and some Dews overwinter naturally, I would disagree. The selection of what will survive won't be as wide as in warmer regions, but it should be possible to keep some CPs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast