Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Astateen's photothread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    leuco doing well in chicago? that's great to see! and minor as well! thanks for sharing!
    Oh sorry, I just got back from Chicago. I am in Georgia and was away all summer so I was surprised to see how big the plants got. I guess leucophylla is already starting to put up its second crop of pitchers. Usually it waits until lovebug season (mid-late September).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here’s an update on the bog:
    The plants have been growing well. They got plenty to eat during lovebug season (Mid-September). This coincides with leucophylla making its largest pitchers. A lot of other flowers, especially asters, like to flower during this time as well.

In November while everything else is dying back, Drosera brevifolia sprouts up just about anywhere. Here it is in a shaded pine forest:

This is as close to snow as we get in South GA.

The bog becomes overgrown by winter. Most of the plants die back and are easily raked away. I need to get more recent pictures from this month, but I have been working to dig up invasive centipede grass. I have already nearly eradicated the invasive Paspalum urvillei, but more work is still needed to be done to ensure the long term health of the bog.
    I am still optimistic, this past weekend I found some 2 and 3 year old seedlings of Sarracenia minor! This is the first time in several years I have seen any indication that S. minor can reproduce on their own in this bog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is an incredible bog. I'm amazed at the size of those minor pitchers. Really nice job youve done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great thread! Thank you much for sharing.
    My Grow/Want Lists
    -The horticulturalist formerly known as Shortbus-

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, sir, for being a conservator of your property. We don't have CPs in my area (to my knowledge); even so, I hate to see land owners "slash-and-burn" their new property so they can have a multiple acre yard to mow. I always wish I could force people to keep as much of the natural setting as natural as possible, regardless of whether I own it or not.

You are a prime example of land ownership, in my opinion. A *LUCKY* example, I might add, as I, too, am quite jealous of you. Nice work!
    Last edited by CorneliusSchrute; 01-23-2014 at 08:57 AM.
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the pictures! Great to hear everything is going well there, that is one of my dreams to have land with a viable CP bog on it. I salute you!
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123