User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommended Carnivorous Plants for Beginners (Generally Speaking)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plant Planter View Post
    Nepenthes neblinae? Nepenthes nutans? Nepenthes minor? That's okay, we all make mistakes.
    I thought something was funny when reading those names. Now I see why!

IMO one of the big factors for success is water quality. For people living in areas with water unsuitable for CP's, this is a huge issue which can mean either buying an RO system, collecting rainwater or making weekly trips to a supermarket water dispenser. Without proper water the plants will slowly cease growth and wither away. I would also mention that some plants are tolerant of moderately hard water such as neps and pings (at least this has been my experience). For people such as myself with water unsuitable for other CP's these genera are much "easier".
    -Arthur

Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plant Planter View Post
    Nepenthes neblinae? Nepenthes nutans? Nepenthes minor? That's okay, we all make mistakes.

And your list is accurate for plants in my experience (which isn't much), but would you consider adding Dionaea to the list? I don't see it anywhere and it can be annoying to grow sometimes--ask me about Small-Leaf Syndrome and Curved-Leaf Syndrome.

And yes, it has helped.
    What?! You saying I can't tell the difference between an 'N' and an 'H'? Fine, have it your way! H it is!

You are right though, how in the heck did I forget the quintessential "beginner's plant"? I'll update tomorrow sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by dueoka View Post
    I thought something was funny when reading those names. Now I see why!

IMO one of the big factors for success is water quality. For people living in areas with water unsuitable for CP's, this is a huge issue which can mean either buying an RO system, collecting rainwater or making weekly trips to a supermarket water dispenser. Without proper water the plants will slowly cease growth and wither away. I would also mention that some plants are tolerant of moderately hard water such as neps and pings (at least this has been my experience). For people such as myself with water unsuitable for other CP's these genera are much "easier".
    I'll update, thanks.
    Last edited by utricularia; 06-20-2013 at 01:17 AM.

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, yes, I forgot to say--you're right that Sarracenia leucophylla is a tank. Mine sure is! A mere two weeks after I received it in the mail, it had grown a pitcher a foot tall!

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post. I agree with most of it. The only exceptions being that I find N. hamate to be more of a fussy HL rather than an UHL like the others, I think that a hybrid heli such as tequila is more forgiving than a species, and finally N. sanguinea is a super easy grower in average household temps.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

oakshadows
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just getting started with CPs and searching for some info about what species to gather. Intend to use them to control barn flies, small barn a lot of flies. The sundews were our first to gather but would like some of the other also. Can you tell us how big the plants have to be to start feasting on insects. (flytraps, pitchers and sundews) Here in Florida there are many bugs and any size you want. Thanks and good blossoms to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oakshadows View Post
    Just getting started with CPs and searching for some info about what species to gather. Intend to use them to control barn flies, small barn a lot of flies. The sundews were our first to gather but would like some of the other also. Can you tell us how big the plants have to be to start feasting on insects. (flytraps, pitchers and sundews) Here in Florida there are many bugs and any size you want. Thanks and good blossoms to you.
    Will you have direct sunlight near or outside the barn? My sarracenia do a great job of controlling the fly population in my backyard.

Btw, nice write up. I've given away some D. binata to some friends and they've been able to get them to grow vigorously without any previous experience with carnivorous plants. Even when they look dead, they've bounced back, growing more leaves than before.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by utricularia View Post
    lol, yeah- I think I was bored/procrastinating. I think I added Darlingtonia while you and Exo were typing. I had to kill a bunch of Darlingtonia before I finally got it.
    Me too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12