What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check out this crazy super mutated D. capensis flower!

Motorlicker

it's what it is
Hey there, I'm pretty new to these forums but when I saw this flower I had to post!

So I was casually looking at one of my Drosera capensis that lives in an outdoor aquarium I have when I noticed, first of all, that there were small leaf-like protrusions opposite some of the florets. So of course I freaked out a little bit thinking I might have a possible cultivar and began imagining a carefree life where my only worry would be propagating more of my frankenflower producing plants.. But upon investigation I found out it is an anomaly known as false vivipary. Dreams of my own commercial greenhouse cast aside I figured this is still pretty cool and thought you folks would appreciate it the most out of anyone!

Also, notice not only one split in the peduncle, but two! I'm sure this has happened in the past as well, but paired with the partial false vivipary I think it is pretty neato.

Can anyone share any pictures/stories about their experiences with frankenflowers?

20130524_1711062.jpg

Highlighting the false vivipary/double peduncle (maybe it should be called a pedicel now :p)
20130524_171250.jpg

Showing the second peduncle split
20130524_1712352.jpg

From behind

Sorry for the size and quality, I only have access to the camera on my phone.

I've heard about this happening before in several species of carnivorous plants, but it has never happened to me personally. I'm not sure if anyone has tried this before, but maybe if you cut off the whole flower stem and laid it sideways in the proper medium it could give you a nice new plant. I wonder if that would work...

Welcome to the forums BTW

Nice expample of false vivipary! Yes, I have seen this on rare occasion with some of my capes that grow outside. You can propagate more plants by cutting the flower stalk off and either placing sideways in wet LFS container, the media you normally use for dews and kept wetter than normal, or floating in distilled/RO water, but you can get many more plants at one time by simply planting the seed from the flower stalk when it goes to seed. They grow like weeds from seed.

False vivipary is so odd. No one understands it, yet it still happens. I'm kind of hoping to see it exhibited in my Drosera spatulata, as it's sending up its fourth flower stalk. Hopefully the inflorescences won't burn and I'll actually get some seeds this time if it's a normal stalk.

Back