What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adam's CP Travels

Adam

Sarracenia Collector
Rather than starting a new thread every year, I decided just to make this thread instead. I'll start with pictures from July. The species that are somewhat rarer are labeled, if known.

First up is Meadowview Biological Research Station

Horizon

Ruby Throat #14

Flava 'Fadeout'

Horizon

Green Monster

John Smith

Vermilion

Matoaka

White Knight

Candy Striper

Matoaka

Wow very nice photos from Meadowview! I live about 2 hours away and have been contemplating a trip. Just might have to make it after those photos :)

Wow very nice photos from Meadowview! I live about 2 hours away and have been contemplating a trip. Just might have to make it after those photos :)

It's definitely worth it! There's much more plants than you could imagine. Much more worth a trip to there than a botanical garden with CPs, in my opinion.

The trail behind Alderman Elementary School in Wilmington, NC. No special varieties, but it's still nice (all plants were introduced, no were growing naturally, AFAIK).

A cool spider

North Carolina Botanical Gardens, Chapel Hill

Dixie Lace

June Bug

Bug Pipes

Tattletale Delegation

Starry Night

Red Bug

Okie Dokie

Starry Night

Rob Gardner

Tattletale Delegation

Case's Resolve

A trip to David Crump's, then over to UNC Charlotte.
Ritchie Bell, Ladies in Waiting, and Starry Night in a bed at David's

Waxy

And over to UNC. A shot into the greenhouse. Ladies in Waiting, Charlesmoorei, and I actually forget the one on the right. I brought one back home though!
I should ask Larry what it is this year.

Ritchie Bell

Starry Night

Rob Gardner

Okie Dokie

A swaniana which gets extremely large hoods

Flies Demise

Purpurea Montana

Oreophila

Double post, oops. I'll post some pictures from Mach's place within a week.

Purpurea from Tranyslvania Co.

Fat Chance

Moore's Melody

Snorkle

Judith Hindle

Okee

Purpetrator

Tall green

And some exciting news, Dr. Mellichamp has sent S. Ritchie Bell, S. Starry Night, and S. Fat Chance into tissue culture, and David Crump has sent S. Bug Bat and S. Yellow Jacket into tissue culture (and has already gotten multiple YJs back), so look for these to be readily available in the next few years.

That is a pot of the first cross I ever made of S. alata x S. purpurea 'Brunswick Beauty'! My name is even on the tag lol

That is a pot of the first cross I ever made of S. alata x S. purpurea 'Brunswick Beauty'! My name is even on the tag lol

Have you seen them recently? They've gotten huge for only a years growth. I got a few last year from Dr. Mellichamp and mine still show their age. But I'll update my growlist to add you as the origin, always nice to have. Thanks!

they were 2 years old when I gave them to Dr. Mellichamp, which would make them 3 now. For some reason a lot of them show areolation. and at the time I did not have any plants that had any S. minor parentage, so there is no way that some S. minor pollen got on there. So my best guess is my S. alata has some sort of S. minor in its veins somewhere down the line.

they were 2 years old when I gave them to Dr. Mellichamp, which would make them 3 now. For some reason a lot of them show areolation. and at the time I did not have any plants that had any S. minor parentage, so there is no way that some S. minor pollen got on there. So my best guess is my S. alata has some sort of S. minor in its veins somewhere down the line.

I only saw aereoles(sp?) on the alata x minor that he has in the same pot as them, but I only took a quick glance at that - I was too mesmerized at the other plants in there.

Back