What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bodybuilding

Is there a reason why you train for strength? I always think back to Sigmund Freud's "Why War" where he discussed the use of superior muscular strength to take or defend property in a state of nature before civil society and sovereignty. We no longer need super strength as he discusses, so I"m curious to understand more of the appeal of physical strength.

"It is a general principle, then, that conflicts of interest between men are settled by the use of violence. This is true of the whole animal kingdom... To begin with, in a small human horde, it was superior muscular strength which decided who owned things or whose will shall prevail...Muscular strength was soon supplemented and replaced by the use of tools: the winner was the one who had better weapons or who used them the more skillfully. From the moment at which weapons were introduced, intellectual superiority already began to replace brute muscular strength; but the final purpose of the fight remained the same - one side or the other was to be compelled to abandon his claim or his objection by the damage inflected on him and by the crippling of his strength".

Last edited:
Its a very good question.

Im very tired right now, and sometimes my english level drop a bit, i will try to make that understandable.

With our advanced societies, our law and rules, with the police and army, we dont need to be physicaly superior. Its no more the 'the stronger will reign' like it was in middles age. Its not the reason i build my body always bigger and stronger.

We live in a 'image' society. Its sad, but its true. Most of the time, beautifull peoples, who look confident, strong and alpha will always have more chance to reach success because the society is like that. Once again, its pretty sad but its the reality.

I cannot control everything, but what i can control, i will go at 100%. Even if i cant(and dont want to) use my body to gain control over other humans, like it was in middles ages, a strong and impressive body will bring more respect and admiration. I can see this in the eyes and actions of the people around me.
Once again, the society is like that.
Most of the normal people dont want to mess with a 6'5 300lbs dude. Most of normal people will not talk the same way to a impressive guy.

I start bodybuilding 12 years ago, and i was at 125lbs for 6f. I was often invisible for other. Many time ppl cut me in the waiting line at the grocery store for example. Its a way more intimidating doing this in front of a very big guy. People dont even try. Its like that.

Also bodybuilding bring me so much other advantages like mental focus, discipline, patience, hard work and a healthy life style. I meet my best friends in the gym, i meet my girlfriend in the gym.

2014 was very hard for me, i lost many close ppl as my parents and my best friend, and without bodybuilding habbits and discipline, i dont know if i were able to go through that.

I hope i answer your question :)

Francois

Hit a 300lb bench today, been wanting that for a while.

You guys into Olympic weightlifting at all? I know it's not bodybuilding but still strength related. Not crossfit or anything, but just training for Olympic lifts

Last edited:
You guys into Olympic weightlifting at all? I know it's not bodybuilding but still strength related. Not crossfit or anything, but just training for Olympic lifts

I did cleans and stuff in HS but haven't ever gotten back into the Oly lifts.

One of my idol. The greatest bodybuilder of all time. Arnold? Branch? Coleman? Cutler?
No one was big like him.

He never wanted to compete at Mr. Olympia because he was not interested.

Last edited:
Hit a 300lb bench today, been wanting that for a while.

Nice! You bench more than me!
Im mostly a dumbell guy, but 300lbs is very heavy, well done :)

I didnt remember if i posted that picture before.

This is me(Army t-shirt) with Branch Warren. This guy is in the top 5 in the world. What a beast. I look skinny next to him LOL

8629999728_567dfe3812_k.jpg

Last edited:
Maiden you look really stoked to meet Branch. Where did you run into him?
What a neat thread that hadn't run across yet. If I find some old pics of myself I may post 1. In my early & mid twenties I was once upon a time about Branch's size. I started lifting again & I'm getting back up to my old max in weights but not even close to my old size yet. I was a powerlifter so I max in everything. Do you guys also? If so, what are your numbers?

Im not a powerlifter, im a bodybuilder. I dont really care how much i lift, i care about what i see in the mirror. Yes i was exited, he is my bodybuilding idol. I meet him at popeyes store near my home.

You had the branch's size ?
He is one of the greatest in bodybuilding history... Its impressive :)

My numbers are:
Bench +-300lbs
Dumbell press 2*135lbs
Squat 470lbs
Military press 190lbs
No dead lift

These numbers are not my one rep max, but 5*8 (set*reps) for each exercices, no spotting. So i dont know if i can lift heavier, but i make very good lean mass gain, so i dont need to push myself to the maximum.

Last edited:
Great numbers Maiden! I also don't have a regular spotter to safely & fully max out. Your max is definitely higher than what you can do reps with. My old numbers were very nice but currently not so much since starting back slowly over time. Bench - 315 5-rep set, squat - 225 10-rep set, deadlift -225 10-rep set, curl bar-110 10-rep set, military p 155 10-rep set. Low numbers but will increase.

I lift for opposite reasons as you. Weightlifting is medicinal to me. It helps me focus, relieve stress, release tension, & push my body. I lift only for personal challenge & not for how I look. Size comes either way but I push myself to gain as much power for smaller mass ratio. Yes I was once very big which took a 6 meal per day diet with high calories & proteins as well as much dedication.

Very cool to be able to meet your idol. My role model when I began was my cousin. He was a member of Team Impact power team that traveled around the world breaking bats & curling frying pans.. etc. I have a poster of him on the wall that I'll post after I take a pic.

Last edited:
Ok :)

315lbs is great, i will try at my next workout.

You bench > Your squat

Quite rare numbers. Do you feel some inconfort in your quad when you do the motion?

Edit:

..and i barbell curl 135. (Olympic bar(45)(2*45))
Barbell extention 155. (E-z bar(25) (2*45+4*10))

Last edited:
Ok :)

315lbs is great, i will try at my next workout.

You bench > Your squat

Quite rare numbers. Do you feel some inconfort in your quad when you do the motion?

Edit:

..and i barbell curl 135. (Olympic bar(45)(2*45))
Barbell extention 155. (E-z bar(25) (2*45+4*10))

Awesome strength Maiden

Yes, my squat should be much higher than bench & it used to be in the past. I tore a muscle in my right quadriceps & then began using the smith machine with the sliding bar for squats. It became harder to workout squats evenly with bench so I am increasing very slowly right now on lower body. When I do regular squats with free weights now, I have very bad balance with anything over 135 so I can barely do 225 comfortably. I need a good spotter to help me increase lower body again. I used to work on balance doing lunges with 135lb on my shoulders... I think I might try that again to fix my problem. Do you have any recommendations to improve balance while doing squats?

Regarding the squats is it balance or a lack of flexibility (or strength) in your ankles/calves? I've heard issues about using the Smith machine where because the bar has a set path you don't exercise all the small stabilising muscles that come into play with free weights, so it might be that.

Do you have any recommendations to improve balance while doing squats?

When I began powerlifting I found that it helped me to start with a wider squat stance and point my toes outward at an angle, and then try to think of using your butt muscles to do the lifting versus using the quads like you would for a narrower squat or front squat. Another trick if you are having difficulty with the 'falling backwards' feeling at the bottom of the squat is to take a piece of wood and put it under your heels. For me, being 6' 6" tall I always had this problem, and the wood piece helped me to push through my heels on my narrow squats and the adjustment of my stance for wide power squats helped my balance considerably.

Regarding the squats is it balance or a lack of flexibility (or strength) in your ankles/calves? I've heard issues about using the Smith machine where because the bar has a set path you don't exercise all the small stabilising muscles that come into play with free weights, so it might be that.

Flexibility, no. I perform squats as if competing so there is good form. Stabilizing muscles are definitely 1 of the issues here. The leg press is no problem but its been very hard to get back on track with squats. Thanks, I should start targeting leg muscles individually which will effect overall balance in the end with squats.

When I began powerlifting I found that it helped me to start with a wider squat stance and point my toes outward at an angle, and then try to think of using your butt muscles to do the lifting versus using the quads like you would for a narrower squat or front squat. Another trick if you are having difficulty with the 'falling backwards' feeling at the bottom of the squat is to take a piece of wood and put it under your heels. For me, being 6' 6" tall I always had this problem, and the wood piece helped me to push through my heels on my narrow squats and the adjustment of my stance for wide power squats helped my balance considerably.

Great advice Eric. Sumo stance is actually easier for me than normal stance. They take some tension off my quads & more on the hammies. I plan to try that heel wedging you mentioned. Sounds like it would really help, thanks!

Awesome strength Maiden

Yes, my squat should be much higher than bench & it used to be in the past. I tore a muscle in my right quadriceps & then began using the smith machine with the sliding bar for squats. It became harder to workout squats evenly with bench so I am increasing very slowly right now on lower body. When I do regular squats with free weights now, I have very bad balance with anything over 135 so I can barely do 225 comfortably. I need a good spotter to help me increase lower body again. I used to work on balance doing lunges with 135lb on my shoulders... I think I might try that again to fix my problem. Do you have any recommendations to improve balance while doing squats?

Yes you can buy some lil pads and place them under your heels when you squat. Thats help a lot for the balance.

Also smith machine is good if you want to train in isolation. Bodybuilding is bodybuilding; its a scene sport. Stabs muscles are not important if judges dont see them :p

On a serious note, smith machine is great when you have injuries. Its a good way to support. But nothing will beat barbells and dumbells for maximum lean grow.

Last edited:
Now for those who are not sure about training, shudup n go to gym :)

Back