Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Show off your 50mm vintage lens pics

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't get much more "vintage" than a pinhole lens!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here we go. Pentax K1000, at least as old as I am, it was bought used when I was born.

Mom only had the short lens and the smaller zoom. I bought the rest. I still want a macro for it. (Hint hint: it takes Pentax K mount! )

Av, you didn't say HOW you wanted me to use the lens.
    I thought of this while contemplating the cost of a lens reversal mount. Here are some iPhotos taken *ahem* through the 52mm. WithOUT the camera body attached.

My wool rug:

This one came out funny. Jewel orchid flowers:

Utricularia longifolia:

Nepenthes mikeii and a cool volcanic concretion:

Sorry they're fuzzy. YOU try hand holding a lens in one hand and an iPhone in the other, and take the shot without dropping the phone into the terrarium's water reservoir.

Wow, Whim! I used to have a pinhole "mount" for the Pentax, but I peeled it off the front of the camera, wantin to put a lens back on it. I didn't have the patience to make it work. I should try again some day.
    Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; 05-28-2013 at 10:05 PM.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a couple from the Helios 58mm:

Fern by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

Fiddlehead by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

Bog by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

Bog by Ineptphotographer, on Flickr

Love that crunchy bokeh on this lens. Really lends definition to the background instead of blurring it into oblivion. Certainly a must have! Thanks to Butch for the recommendation of course!
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome thread! Where are your pics at Av? The Helios is an excellent lens. I need to break mine back out again.

Here are a few I took this morning with a Yashica 50mm DSB f1.9. A quick search on ebay found several for under $20.00. A cheapie, but decent lens.

I waited a bit too long and it was almost too bright out to get decent shots.

Come on guys, post some more pictures! .
    Last edited by Crissytal; 05-29-2013 at 08:33 AM.
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I are the middle of an odd photography stage..
    We met because of, and at, Kodak..we were both research technicians just before the big boom in digital
    that ended up killing the company!
    (Kodak isnt completely dead yet..but its on life support)

I was a photography major in college, graduated in 1992, We met in '95, and were both shooting film with 35MM SLR's..
    I had a beloved Canon Elan II (and some older SLR's) and Deb was using an Olympus OM-1n..

For 17 years we had access to free film, and free processing!
    it was pretty sweet..(it was simply an employee perk that lots of people had, if you worked in the right area..)
    Until last year, when I was finally laid off..(Deb was laid off ages ago..)
    I first started shooting digital in 2001, and we used both digital and film for most of the 2000's..
    We went "all digital" maybe 4 years ago..
    We still have some film in the freezer, but we probably wont use it..
    Now that we no longer have access to free printing, we arent bothering to have prints made anymore..
    Last year, after I was laid off, we tried all the local pharmacies, and mail-order..No one can do decent print quality anymore!
    pretty much everyone sucks..So we haven't had a print made in over a year, and aren't going to have any made for the foreseeable future.

We did photo albums for the longest time, but now im going to start making "digital albums" that we can
    watch on the computer or TV..(if anyone has any suggestions for good programs for making albums or "slideshows"..I would like to hear about it!)

About a year ago Deb went to a friends bridal shower for the day, and took our main camera..
    I also wanted to go and shoot some railroad photos that day, but I couldnt find a battery for a "backup" digital camera..
    So I dragged out the vintage Canon A1!
    Here is the last photo I shot with film..will probably be the last for awhile:

Scot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    My wife and I are the middle of an odd photography stage..
    We met because of, and at, Kodak..we were both research technicians just before the big boom in digital
    that ended up killing the company!
    (Kodak isnt completely dead yet..but its on life support)
    Scot
    I have such mixed feelings about the loss of Kodak and 99% of the silver gelatin/film technology. On one hand I think digital imaging has brought us many great things (freeing us up from darkrooms and the toxic chemistry that was requisite as part of the process is a good thing, mostly) but it should also be noted that digital media has one massive Achilles Heel: impermanence. I don't know how many of you realize what will happen the next time we have a coronal mass ejection event like the Carrington Event of 1859, but it won't be pretty. Essentially, the next time it happens (when, not if. Ice cores have revealed that events of this magnitude happen approximately every 500 years.), our digital storage media will be wiped clean and our culture's "digital history" will vanish. This isn't some doomsday nonsense, this is a very real threat.

So, I will persist in participating in more "traditional" image-making technologies that end in some form of archival, "permanent" prints. This is why pinhole cameras, with their simplistic technology, appeal to me; I can process a roll of film in my kitchen sink and scan the resulting negs, feed them through photoshop and send a print to my Pixma Pro-1, resulting in a luminous, long-lasting print that will not be the least bit bothered by the next solar flare event. Sure, I still rely on my computer to digitize the image, but the starting point and the end point exist outside of the digital workflow, and I like that.

Read Christopher James' excellent essay Update from Pictureville, which touches on this subject.

PS: apologies to the OP for not paying attention to the topic title: my contribution doesn't meet the requirements! Oops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whim,
    interesting theory about solar storms wiping out CD's!
    I had never heard that before..so I went googling about..
    The theory has mixed reviews, but im inclined to put it firmly in the "urban legend/myth/not really a problem" category..

http://photo.net/digital-camera-forum/00Z9Zi

Of course, lots of digital media will not be archival! for many reasons that have nothing to do with the sun..
    Hard drives die, and CD's and DVD's as long-term storage is still too new to have any definate answers..

For now, keep multiple backups of everything, and im planning to burn new CD's of important photos every 10 years or so..
    to whatever the "latest and greatest" media of that particular decade happens to be..

Scot

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics everyone,
    I'm dealing with a migraine today so I've not been able to get out much, but did manage get one quickie.

No post processing other than a crop and resize.

Canon T3i w/ 1990's Russian Helios 44M-7 58mm f/2.0
    (last model of the 44M series, and one of mine that I haven't used much yet)
    Usually about 50-75USD on ebay.

I'll try to get some more later :-)
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 05-29-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast