What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ordered new smoker, need recipes

Can't ya just feel the testosterone oozing out from every pore LOL
Anyways, took the plunge and ordered a new smoker.... now looking for good recipes

Looking for, but not limited to:
Brisket
Smoked salmon
Shrimp
Jerky
Baby back ribs (both wet and dry)
Pork butt
Whole Turkey
Whole chicken
Whole duck
Veggies

I have access to plenty of hickory, oak and lots of apple wood

People used to tell me all the time that I should quit my job and make jerky for a living. That was before I started making it in a smoker, now I know how a heroin dealer feels! I'm almost embarrassed at how easy my recipe is. I take London Broil, cut it into 1/4" thick strips. I like to cut with the grain so the strips are as long as possible, but if you cut across the grain it comes out a bit easier to chew. I marinate overnight in a Ziploc bag with a 15:1 mix of soy sauce and lime juice to which I add some finely ground black pepper and some garlic powder, about a tsp of each in 4 oz of the marinade. When it comes out of the marinade I shake off the excess and sprinkle some coarsely ground black pepper on both sides and then into the smoker. I use a Big Green Egg, so what I usually do is to put the jerky in after cooking ribs or a brisket or what not, and I close it up almost completely so it slowly cools down from 180 or so overnight. I normally use apple or cherry for my smoke.

ohhh now I've been making jerky for years using dehydrator.... but smoked jerky sounds even more nomnomnom....

moar recipes please, rawr :)

I'm really looking forward to doing brisket and turkey well..... that will be awesome

Damn, ready for summer! I'll be right over for the cookout. :-))

bring your bib Jen, we gonna get sloppy LOL

Okay, this is what I do at the restaurant with my turkey...
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup of bourbon (Wild Turkey of course)
2 limes sliced rind and all
5 cloves minced garlic
1/2 yellow onion minced
3 Tbs salt
3 Tbs Cayenne
3 Tbs paprika
1 tsp each of granulated garlic, granulated onion, oregano, thyme, black pepper

combine all of those. I usually use a 10 lb turkey and marinade it with this mixture for at least 12 hours but no longer than 24. I like to use a large ziplock bag to marinade so most of the air can be drawn out. I put it in the smoker at 225 for about 10 hrs. I prefer Hickory seems to burn a little more even and produces more smoke...
A smoker is always a great toy to have.

ohhhhhh.... do you maintain smoke the entire cooking cycle or ?

(gotta log, will follow up on this later :) )

Good question! I don't... I only smoke for the first half. I find that excessive smoking gives off an almost astringent flavor.

I know the science guy on America's Test Kitchen explained the process one day... (at least in regard to chicken)

Basically what I took from their explanation was the good flavor is a reaction of the smoke to the moisture in the outer layer of the meat.
Once this process has run its course, any additional smoke will give it that funky taste you mentioned... (they used the term "ash tray" taste LOL)
They recommended smoking during the initial phase only (I sort of assumed turkey would be similar)

I know when I do chicken on my Weber kettle, I only smoke in the beginning and omg its so ymmy.

I have some good Hungarian Hot Paprika, I guess if I use it I would combine the amounts of Cayenne and sweet paprika in your recipe and just use 6 tbs?

omg now im hungry LOL

I imagine that would be fine... the above spice mixture is basically what I use for a blackening spice. I keep a gallon container of it made in advance and use it at seasoning. So you could just mix up the dry ingredients and adjust the seasoning to your taste then add it to the marinade.

Love it!
Been smoking my whole life!
here is what I have come up with over the years as a good "brisket rub", however it does a fine job on ribs and pork butt as well.

3/4 cp paprika
1/4 cp blk pepper
1/4 cp coarse salt
1/4 cp brown sugar
2 TBS chili pwdr
2 TBS garlic pwdr
2 TBS onion pwdr
2 tsp cayenne

I rub the meat well with this the night before smoking, set in fridge, remove in time to allow the meat to come to room temp before putting it on the rack.
full smoke a brisket for 4-6 hours ( to your taste) at 225*, at that time, wrap it up in heavy foil and return to the heat (without smoke) for an additional 6-8 hrs.

Ribs....you must remove the silver skin first, follow the above, however reduce the time's appropriate for the size of ribs you are cooking. Usually, ribs get full smoke for 4 hrs then wrap in foil to finish in around 8 - 10hrs at 200*-225*.
the recipe above should be altered to your tastes....more sugar, more cayenne etc.

the Birds...I soak all poultry prior to smoking, using the basic brine formula of; for every quart of water needed to cover the victim, add
1/4 cp cider vinegar
1/4 cp salt
1/2 cp sugar (white sugar for white meat, brown sugar for red meat)
1 can frozen juice I like the "Hawaii's own" brand, but any citrus based juice works well.

soak over nite but no more than 24 hrs. This also works well as an injection if so inclined.
allow the bird to "dry out" a bit before placing in the smoker, as this allows the smoke to adhere and seal the bird.
full smoke ( lighter woods for lighter meats is the basic rule) for 2-4 hrs (per taste) and finish unwrapped until a min of 8 hours ( for a 12 lb bird).

I soak all my meats in a 5 gal bucket adding a pot or pie plate or whatever is needed under the lid to keep the meat submerged.
If the victim is to travel with you, say to a pic-nic, family visits etc., as soon as it comes from the smoker, wrap the meat in foil ( if not already that way), then wrap in a towel and place it in an ice chest. This will allow the meat to stay hot for hours and will be warm tomorrow if never opened.

cheeses....these require a cold smoke (70* is best).
I just use a cardboard box with a small rack inside, placed above the smoke vent while the meats are inside. be sure the cheese is no thicker than 2 inches as the smoke does not penetrate deeply. watch for signs of melting as this is bad, cool the "cheese box" by lifting a bit higher off of the vent. depending on the wood used, cheese takes on that wonderful smoky flavor in about 2-4 hrs.

Smoking meat is a hobby I love very much.

In terms of a whole chicken or game bird ( we once used a wild turkey, which crossed our paths), it was marinated for three days in a concoction of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, oregano, grapefruit juice; a generous amount of rock salt and lots of freshly ground pepper; some brown sugar; and a whole bulb of garlic (peeled but kept whole).

It was smoked for the first portion of cooking; and the measurements for the marinade were eyeballed, depending upon the size of the birdie . . .

Box,

excellent.... that will be the first recipe I will try with brisket, looks good and omg the cheese idea sounds nomnomnom,
ummm, do you have a pref on what cheese to smoke?
I've not used a 5 gal bucket before, but I have used an old, large cooler with iced brine

David,

Thank you old friend... ummm no smoked salmon? I though sure you would be the SS king :)
Grapefruit juice marinade, omg makes ya pucker just thinking about it.... hehehehehe, I bet that would be especially good for duck :)

I hope you like it, and I hope you get ridiculously addicted to smoking meats as I have.
Our favorite cheese for smoking is an aged "vintage white" cheddar, Tillamook brand here in Oregon.
White cheeses do better for taking up the smoky flavor, but any but the soft cheeses can be smoked.
when cooking brisket....the internal temp of the meat MUST reach 160* and hold that for at least 2 hours, this breaks down the collagen and gives you that tender meat you seek.

Box,

excellent.... that will be the first recipe I will try with brisket, looks good and omg the cheese idea sounds nomnomnom,
ummm, do you have a pref on what cheese to smoke?
I've not used a 5 gal bucket before, but I have used an old, large cooler with iced brine

David,

Thank you old friend... ummm no smoked salmon? I though sure you would be the SS king :)
Grapefruit juice marinade, omg makes ya pucker just thinking about it.... hehehehehe, I bet that would be especially good for duck :)

I guess a remote meat thermometer would be a good investment.... I currently just have a hand held digi that I like

The smoker I'm getting just measures cabinet temp, not meat

hehehehe, these sound simple and good

Armadillo eggs:

"Hot" (spicy) Tennessee Pride breakfast sausage
Cream Cheese
Jalapenos
Thick sliced, Hickory smoked bacon

Cook sausage and crumble, set aside
Split the Jalapenos lengthwise, scoop out seeds and membrane
Mix sausage with crème cheese
Fill each jalapeno half, wrap with slice of bacon and pin in place with toothpick

Smoke until bacon has cooked

that sounds mmm mmmm good

My families recipe for armadillo eggs is quite different yet quite the same.
I cut the peppers in half not lengthwise, fill each half with whatever cheese you like, wrap them in a thin layer of sausage, roll in crushed cornflakes and bake at 350* 'till you first see the filling oozing out. For the warmer loving crowd, use Serrano peppers.
I serve these with my "bored and stroked" pork loin....heaven.

lol, it is different but the same :)

Smoker arrived, and the RF meat probe I ordered arrived but it has to be returned.... no workie workie
So today doing some spare ribs with a very basic Memphis rub....
doing the 2+2+1 method with apple

been to dentist 2 days in row (root canal, temp filling broke last night) and on jury duty, omg I need a good meal lol

just shoot me now :p

LMAO omg worst ribs evaaar.... LOLOLOLOL

learned a lot....

need thermometer till I learn smoker..
Didn't like the rub
Didn't like the apple for ribs
Way over cooked
Stay out of smoke, my head hurts LOL

Last edited:
Back