What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you support your habit?

Neat app, and that's amazing that you're getting experience at a young age. If you're interested in programming as a career choice be sure to tout this in your resume or interviews! I didn't get into programming until my senior year of high school and regretted I hadn't started earlier.
Thanks. I found out about it about a year or two ago and I love it.

Do you have a version for blackberry ?
Nice. Is there/will there be a version for Android?

well...probably not anytime soon. Those devices have completely different programming languages and SDKs(Software Development Kits) that I would have to learn to do a port. Maybe I will sometime in the future, though.

Awesome to see some former/current business owners. I'm a programmer working in defense nao. Any fellow programmers here? :D

Last summer I interned at a small contractor and was able to work closely with the client and see all the interactions. Still learning the business with a large contractor but I have grand visions of opening my own contracting company one day!

I am a software engineer (Java web applications among other things). I had an interview for a job as a php developer with a new company though.

I'm a programmer. I'm still a kid so I don't actually need a job, but I develop for iOS. Check out the link to the app in my signature below. I'm hoping that I'll get another app out this summer to actually make some money to buy some plants with.

|
|
|
|
|
V

I run Linux so I can't open your link. What does your app do?

Update: I am now a spray tech at a lawn care company.

I am a college student, I get my plants as presents or buy them with birthday money, so I don't have that many. But that is for the best, as I have to move around a lot from dorm to home and back again, so keeping things small is probably for the best. I like drosera for that reason, most aren't that big.

[Edit] tryed to put some c++ code here for fun, but the webpage use my code for formating LOL. Cannot print out the original code here. But im a c++ coder

To put in code you can use the [ code ] [ /code ] tags. Just remove the spaces from within the brackets. :)

I'm a professor. What money I don't spend on books goes toward plants! :)

That's great! Where/what do you profess/research?

And to answer the original question: I manage a research lab at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. We do a lot of work with soils and the gases that come off them. I get to work on projects ranging from biofuels to carbon sequestration to isotopic analyses. Good stuff!

I am a college student, I get my plants as presents or buy them with birthday money, so I don't have that many. But that is for the best, as I have to move around a lot from dorm to home and back again, so keeping things small is probably for the best. I like drosera for that reason, most aren't that big.

Same here. I don't have that much of a budget to spend on plants, but I use Swagbucks to get Paypal gift cards so I can make some purchases from time to time. I've begun trading to acquire more plants as well.

Hell yeah, me too! I also use mostly birthday and Xmas money for my plants. Keep em all at home though so I'm constantly praying that my parents don't kill them while I'm away at college.

Hell yeah, me too! I also use mostly birthday and Xmas money for my plants. Keep em all at home though so I'm constantly praying that my parents don't kill them while I'm away at college.

That actually happened with me. I lost everything except for a Nepenthes ventricosa x alata when I went to college. Took two years before I got back into the hobby after that.

Hah, my mother is the bane of all plant life, I would trust her to take care of a plant about as much as I would trust a dog to watch over a steak without eating it. She has literally killed every plant she has ever owned and been in charge of, even the ones outside (face smack). There are two kinds of people in my family, those that could forget about plants for days and yet have them grow inexplicably great, and those that have the touch of death. My mom certainly has the touch of death.

Since I don't have anyone to really care for the plants while I am gone, I just always take them with me. Besides, why would I want to miss out on the fun? Caring for my plants is one of my favorite ways to procrastinate ;p . Sure, most don't grow all that quickly, but that isn't much of a turn off to me really.

Although, my college has such strict pet restrictions that my plants almost got taken away. Only non predatory fish allowed, yet my plants were essentially predatory, so I had to make some serious appeals to keep them.

That's great! Where/what do you profess/research?

At a certain institution in New Haven (Go Bulldogs!). I teach French literature. Books and botany are my two great passions! :)

Back