What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you support your habit?

Hello again everybody! In the last few days I have been wondering what kind of jobs and careers help us to keep our hobbies going. In other words: "What do you do?"......

I will start us off with the fact during winter I hibernate and am quite the bum. During spring summer and fall, however, I am a greenskeeper on a golf course. Also I am a hort major going for a degree in turf (pretty lame, I know). Here is a photo of me hard at work lol.

I suspect alot of you have much more interesting occupations than I, and I look forward to an interesting lineup.

nice thread.
I build custom homes here along the Southern Or. Coast.
I am envious of your winter hibernation time....we work in it all, rain (mostly), sun (can get Chetco Effect) upper 90's, wind, well it is the Coast.
I am grateful however, we do not get much snow! (sorry Mass)

I don't have kids. I can afford all the plants I want. :)

I don't have kids either, and I can't afford all the plants I want; cuz I am one. :p

Currently i'm a senior in Horticulture at NCSU, and initially I mooched off of my parents, then i've just made smart trades, giveaways, saved spare change, and used some money from summer jobs to get to where I am now. When I graduate in December who knows where I'll be :)

yeah the combo of no kids/wife and a disposable income makes for a great stream of plants. that and giving up bad habits that sucked money out of my pockets.

I sell plants and seeds to support my gardening addiction.

It's a vicious cycle.

yeah the combo of no kids/wife and a disposable income makes for a great stream of plants. that and giving up bad habits that sucked money out of my pockets.
I would have a nice stream of plants too...If I could make any real moneys.

I sell plants and seeds to support my gardening addiction.

It's a vicious cycle.

:lol:

I design, install and maintain aquaria.

I purchase my plants with a meager flow of allowance and babysitting money :)

Kenny

I work at home depot's garden center..before that I painted people's houses and rooms.

Im a bank robber, and sometimes local supermarkets when im lazy. Dont have choice, heliamphora are so expensive!

Currently unemployed, so not much support for my CP addiction at the moment other than selling a few plants here and there. I grow mostly outside temperate CPs with a few inside windowsill plants though, so the cost is really minimal compared to maintaining tropical setups like terrariums and greenhouses. I am lucky that DH tolerates my addiction and does not fuss too much when I have to buy plant supplies, and my CP collection has always grown mostly through trades and the awesome generosity of people on this forum.

Kids are grown, so more time to grow my addiction! :-D

heres a thought, just rob the heliamphora distributers directly :lol:

LoL :)
Seriously, im a personal trainer, and a gardening center warehouse director. (Botanix.com)

I run a Bell & Howell AIM inserting machine, stuffing invoices and statements into envelopes. I hate it.

I'm an artist and illustrator. I'm pondering a life of crime at this point.

I'm an artist and illustrator. I'm pondering a life of crime at this point.

Remember: crime doesn't pay.....but it's a heck of alot more entertaining than some more respectable occupations lol.

crime pays great! just cant get caught

I am a chef and recently sold my restaurant so now I have lots of free time for plants. I've been working as a consultant for restaurants as of late and am looking for my next adventure.

Back