Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Scraggly Ghost Pepper Plant

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scraggly Ghost Pepper Plant

So I came to my parents house this weekend to see a ghost pepper plant I over wintered isn't doing so hot outside. It has numerous long branches it sprouted this year, but they only seems to grow a small bush of wimpy leaves on the end of the branch. They were fertilized at the beginning of spring, but nothing since then (It is in a large conatiner).
    So I'm thinking I should probably fertilize, and maybe spray its leaves with soapy water for any pests.
    Any other suggestions? Not sure if pruning back would help or not.
    On a side note, my ghost pepper on my porch in Madison is doing fantastic with numerous large peppers in production!

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bumpity:/

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Difficult to tell from the photo as to whether or not the leaves are suffering some sort of pest issue. Do you know if you parents' properly hardened off the plant when they put it out? If not, it is possible that the majority of indoor leaves got scorched and were dropped, In which case, what you may be seeing is the smaller new flush of leaves.

Is this one of the ones you are bonsai'ing? A bit of pruning back may not be a bad idea.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsEye View Post
    ...Do you know if you parents' properly hardened off the plant when they put it out? If not, it is possible that the majority of indoor leaves got scorched and were dropped, In which case, what you may be seeing is the smaller new flush of leaves...
    I am inclined to agree. Almost all plants hate it when conditions change too rapidly for them to keep up with. If your plant isn't used to the Sun's light, it probably lost most of its leaves.