What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attempting to start a small business in college

As the title states, I planning to start a small plant business in college this fall.

Of the plants I will be hopefully be selling, these are carnivorous ones I want to use.
1071414_290683327742195_157156848_o.jpg

If anyone could ID those for me, that would be lovely.
They're easy plants to grow, I think, or should I switch to something else?
I'm also willing to add one more of any plant, anyone have a suggestion?
Also, general advice would be good.

My guesses are D. natalensis for the little one, and D. nidiformis as the larger.

Do you plan on propagating these particular plants? And who are you selling these to? I'm just trying to figure out what your trying to do so myself and others can give you advice.

Do you plan on propagating these particular plants? And who are you selling these to? I'm just trying to figure out what your trying to do so myself and others can give you advice.
I just harvested some seeds for no reason, and I'm currently testing out how fast I can do leaf propagation.

I would so much prefer propagation over seeds, cause their is way more control IMO.

check out my article on leaf propagation in the CPN. Should prove helpful :)

I wish you the best of luck with this. I too am trying to get my own business started and it's not easy but I am slowly building up quite a selection. Atm, I have more agave and palm than I can move. I haven't done anything with seeds or cuttings though cause I don't have much luck with that(I killed a perfectly pulled Nep leaf :/ Couldn't have asked for cleaner). But perhaps once I get a better setup I can try it.

Gigantea, I'm afraid neps can't be propagated from leaf pullings...so it wasn't your fault. ;)

Oh, yeah, that's right.. I learned that about a week later. Meh, still my fault. I can't root it unless its a succulent anyway. :p

Any good Butterwort suggestions?

If you're looking for suggestions on Pinguicula, I suggest you consult Crisstal (sorry if I spelled you wrong). Based on what other forum members have posted, Mexican Pinguicula are good. I can second that since my personal P. primuliflora has taken a lot of (nature-inflicted) abuse, from scorching, muggy days, to pouring, chilling nights.

P. primuliflora isn't a Mexican species, it's a Southeast US species. However, it's still a great beginner plant, mine is spilling over its container's edges with plantlets.....

P. primuliflora isn't a Mexican species, it's a Southeast US species. However, it's still a great beginner plant, mine is spilling over its container's edges with plantlets.....

Oh. Well, it still is a great beginners plant!

Those aren't exactly the prettiest pings, no offense, anything else a bit more "cute" that will survive on the window sill and doesn't take up mega space?

D. nidiformis is a weed, maybe even worse than D. capensis. Just let it seed and you'll have more plants than you can deal with.

Kirby, P. moranensis and most of its hybrids are basically impossible to kill, and grow and flower well on windowsills for me. P. 'Weser' is especially easy, as well as P. 'Pirouette' and P. 'Sethos' (reverse cross of 'Weser').

Kirby, P. moranensis and most of its hybrids are basically impossible to kill, and grow and flower well on windowsills for me. P. 'Weser' is especially easy, as well as P. 'Pirouette' and P. 'Sethos' (reverse cross of 'Weser').

Pinguicula 'Pirouette' or 'Sethos' seems to fit what I'm going for. They have nice flowers too.
Now I just gotta find a plant or pulling...

best of luck on this.

I have some plantlets and leaf pullings that I might be able to send your way as long as you pay shipping. Although if your trying to make money, propagating plants like that takes a lot of time and you'll only be able to sell each plant for a few dollars. Also who are you planning to sell these to? Pretty much the only way to actually make money off plants without years or growing/propagating is to buy in bulk and sell them to nurseries and private collectors like most of us. I hope everything works out though. Let me know if you'd like the pullings.

I have some plantlets and leaf pullings that I might be able to send your way as long as you pay shipping. Although if your trying to make money, propagating plants like that takes a lot of time and you'll only be able to sell each plant for a few dollars. Also who are you planning to sell these to? Pretty much the only way to actually make money off plants without years or growing/propagating is to buy in bulk and sell them to nurseries and private collectors like most of us. I hope everything works out though. Let me know if you'd like the pullings.

I thought I'd be able to grow it into a mature plant, but they probably wouldn't grow as fast as Drosera. I think I'll just go buy a mature plant instead.

Pings probably grow faster than anything. I've gone from leaf pulling, to mature plant in like 4 months or so. But even then your only going to have a handful of $5-10 plants to sell.

Back