What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm not the best photographer, but I try. I don't have the best collection, but it's growing (hehe). I find pictures are a great way to see progress in slow-going things like plants and aquariums. So without adieu, here are my first plants!

DSCN1290_zpsc809085c.jpg

A death cube from Lowes, a flytap from a local nursery, a S. purpurea, and a D. spathulata (I think) from the same nursery. They were on the front porch acclimating to the outside again.

groupshot_zps6d84c25e.jpg

About a week later I went back to that same nursery and got the rest of my Sars. Again, acclimating them from nursery life with the shaded back porch.

After a few weeks of searching I found the sunniest part of my yard and have plopped all the CP's there. The Sars look a little worse for the wear with all of those rainy and cloudy days southern VA and NC had for a few weeks there, but with the sunny days now they are sprouting up new pitchers!

DSCN1574_zpsa6911a9c.jpg

DSCN1562_zps6519ff01.jpg

Death cube revived!

DSCN1576_zps29358f9d.jpg

New growth on S. flava

DSCN1569_zps5cc817f9.jpg

New growth on S. leucophylla

DSCN1577_zps8ec6732d.jpg

S. 'mardi gras' with S. 'doodle bug' in the background.

DSCN1579_zps462fcd45.jpg

My D. spathulata coming back from the beating the rain gave it. (PS. this plant was sold to me as a "cape sundew" and someone else corrected me calling it D. spathulata. If this isn't correct please let me know ^-^ )

DSCN1581_zps405924bd.jpg

Lunch? Little guy didn't take the bait, tho...

Maybe by this time next year I'll have more plants and a better camera!

'Like'! That does look like a D. spatulata.... but then again, there are way too many sundews that look way too much alike to me!

Nice collection :)

A nice collection. I agree your 'dew could well be D. spatulata and is definitely not a cape. May I ask what flower your avatar is?

It could be spatulata, but chances are it's the imposter D. x tokaiensis that is sold just about everywhere. You can recognize it by the noticeable widening of the lamina near the tip of the leaf, and it often sends up multiple, occasionally branching flower stalks with flowers that only occasionally open fully.

Thanks, everyone! :) It's small, but I'm proud of it.

It could be spatulata, but chances are it's the imposter D. x tokaiensis that is sold just about everywhere. You can recognize it by the noticeable widening of the lamina near the tip of the leaf, and it often sends up multiple, occasionally branching flower stalks with flowers that only occasionally open fully.

Hmm... It might be D. x tokaienesis. Both plants have sent up multiple flower stalks, and I've only seen one flower for like a couple of hours. Would getting a picture of the flowers help for ID purposes?

A nice collection. I agree your 'dew could well be D. spatulata and is definitely not a cape. May I ask what flower your avatar is?

I'm honestly not certain what that flower is. It's a wildflower that just appeared at my pond. Here is the larger version and another picture of the same flower.

DSCN7218_zps7d9af7ed-1.jpg

DSCN7224_zpsbb00b93a.jpg

Haha, Doodlebug. That plant will never be the same for me.
That wildflower is interesting. I've seen it before, but I can't remember what it is.

Is it a Mimulus (monkey flower) perhaps? Very pretty.

I'm honestly not certain what that flower is. It's a wildflower that just appeared at my pond. Here is the larger version and another picture of the same flower.

DSCN7218_zps7d9af7ed-1.jpg

DSCN7224_zpsbb00b93a.jpg
[/QUOTE]

It is called Creeping Mazus. It is a low-growing ground cover that spreads quickly. I have it growing around the edge of my bog. I don't know where it came from, just started growing in there a couple years ago. I like the flowers, but it is getting somewhat invasive and I will probably pull it out next year.

9323308740_458c31a40a.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
9323308912_5cbe0c56e6.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:
Nice sarrs you got there! Great save on the death cube VFT. I look forward to watching your CP collection grow.

BTW, your pics look great to me.

That wildflower is interesting. I've seen it before, but I can't remember what it is.

I admit, it's not my favorite of my sars ( I <3 leucophylla) but what did the doodlebug do to you? Trip you in the middle of the night? Eat the last slice of ham and put the container back in the fridge? Chew up your homework?

It is called Creeping Mazus. It is a low-growing ground cover that spreads quickly. I have it growing around the edge of my bog. I don't know where it came from, just started growing in there a couple years ago. I like the flowers, but it is getting somewhat invasive and I will probably pull it out next year.

Hmm... Guess it's some kind of bog plant because it loves the wettest areas around my pond and grows on those mossy rocks pretty well. I like it. Gives that natural feel to my pond. I'm glad to know what it is now. Thanks, DJ!

Don't you mock the Doodlebug!!!

And I got the entire story today!

I also got a flower today! My Drosera spathulata/tokaiensis opened a flower today! Will it help in ID-ing the plant?

DSCN1602_zps81c2299b.jpg

Also my leucophylla opened a new pitcher!

DSCN1590_zps6be48c05.jpg

^actually from a few days ago...

DSCN1611_zps4f5f030b.jpg

With some new flava pictures in the background.

Looks like the fertile version to me, D. tokaiensis. The hybrid's flower stalks unroll very early on, instead of unrolling as it flowers like the species seems to do. Flower color also matches my fertile form.

doodlebug

Good to know that I've got the hybrid. It's mostly for my curiosity, but I'm glad that's settled. :)

So I went out to check on my plants today and realized just how large one of my traps is.

DSCN1621_zps57fedbf4.jpg

It's huge! :D

It's that time of year. Pretty soon they'll be destroying wasps.

I was thinking the same thing.

Anyway, nice plants!

Back