Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mossy's Plant Photos!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mossy's Plant Photos!

I'm not the best photographer, but I try. I don't have the best collection, but it's growing (hehe). I find pictures are a great way to see progress in slow-going things like plants and aquariums. So without adieu, here are my first plants!

A death cube from Lowes, a flytap from a local nursery, a S. purpurea, and a D. spathulata (I think) from the same nursery. They were on the front porch acclimating to the outside again.

About a week later I went back to that same nursery and got the rest of my Sars. Again, acclimating them from nursery life with the shaded back porch.

After a few weeks of searching I found the sunniest part of my yard and have plopped all the CP's there. The Sars look a little worse for the wear with all of those rainy and cloudy days southern VA and NC had for a few weeks there, but with the sunny days now they are sprouting up new pitchers!

Death cube revived!

New growth on S. flava

New growth on S. leucophylla

S. 'mardi gras' with S. 'doodle bug' in the background.

My D. spathulata coming back from the beating the rain gave it. (PS. this plant was sold to me as a "cape sundew" and someone else corrected me calling it D. spathulata. If this isn't correct please let me know ^-^ )

Lunch? Little guy didn't take the bait, tho...

Maybe by this time next year I'll have more plants and a better camera!
    -- Elizabeth

Grow list

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Like'! That does look like a D. spatulata.... but then again, there are way too many sundews that look way too much alike to me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice collection :-)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A nice collection. I agree your 'dew could well be D. spatulata and is definitely not a cape. May I ask what flower your avatar is?
    - Mark

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be spatulata, but chances are it's the imposter D. x tokaiensis that is sold just about everywhere. You can recognize it by the noticeable widening of the lamina near the tip of the leaf, and it often sends up multiple, occasionally branching flower stalks with flowers that only occasionally open fully.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, everyone! It's small, but I'm proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    It could be spatulata, but chances are it's the imposter D. x tokaiensis that is sold just about everywhere. You can recognize it by the noticeable widening of the lamina near the tip of the leaf, and it often sends up multiple, occasionally branching flower stalks with flowers that only occasionally open fully.
    Hmm... It might be D. x tokaienesis. Both plants have sent up multiple flower stalks, and I've only seen one flower for like a couple of hours. Would getting a picture of the flowers help for ID purposes?

Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    A nice collection. I agree your 'dew could well be D. spatulata and is definitely not a cape. May I ask what flower your avatar is?
    I'm honestly not certain what that flower is. It's a wildflower that just appeared at my pond. Here is the larger version and another picture of the same flower.

-- Elizabeth

Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, Doodlebug. That plant will never be the same for me.
    That wildflower is interesting. I've seen it before, but I can't remember what it is.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it a Mimulus (monkey flower) perhaps? Very pretty.
    - Mark

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast