Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad sight to come home to yesterday morning

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
    Sorry to see it. The plants should be able to recover, no different than clipping pitchers for shipping really, but if you do lose you Colossus, oreo or cuprea I should be able to help you out with replacements.
    Thank you. That is comforting to know they have a good chance of recovering. I figure it may take a season for them to look decent again the following year? Thank goodness for patience, haha. I waited years for a Colossus (thank you Jerry) so that was espcially devasting, and it really took off this second year in my care. The Oreophila had three seed pods forming and only one remains intact.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never understand why in the whole world critters come up into our yards and porches and do this? Have they no hearts?! Okay, dramatic there... Sorry about the bog.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put out a different, easier food source every night. A loaf of cheap bread ought to do it. Let them gorge on Wonder Bread and they won't waste their time busting up pitchers for bugs.

PS: I wouldn't hesitate to shoot 'em myself, if they can't be deterred by other means. Babies only mean an increase in the destruction in the months to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an incident a month or so ago where an unsupervised dog thought one of my Sarr pools would be a nice place to play. Had to trim most of them and cut several to to the ground. Most are already showing new growth and probably won't be set back much if at all. They really are resilient plants for the most part.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what a bummer!

I know this is off topic, but does your bog ever get flooded? Or do you have some sort of drainage?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about this. Was just admiring your bog photos on Flickr yesterday DJ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very sorry to hear this DJ, you have a wonderful bog. I am sure they will recover but I get the disappointment...

It's so noble of you to still avoid killing them, they are only doing what's in their nature. Birds kept destroying my plants on the balcony until I came up with a permanent solution - a fish net. It was exhausting to build it up but sparing their lives was totally worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ohh nooo.. Im so sorry DJ, that reaaalllyy sucks... only tip I can offer is to use Cayenne pepper on EVERYTHING.. Even try sprinkling some inside/on your remaining pitchers... It may help deter them some, you just have to reapply every time it rains.. It worked with my mom's mini bog when she had trouble with critters digging up everything..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast