What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

for fellow gun nuts and conservation fans....

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
MOA is minute of angle, general term alot use when discussing rifle accuracy....roughly 1 inch at 100 yards....2inches at 200 yards ect....if your rifle shoots a 1 inch group at 100 yards its a 1MOA rifle, half inch, its a 1/2MOA rifle ect....minute of milk jug just means yah dont have a problem hitting a milk jug at 100 yards, kind of a ba$tardization of the term....unlike most think this is more than good enough for a short range(out to 100 yards) hunting rifle or a personal defence gun like your carbine.....

I saw an excellent video on MOA the other day. Here, I'll share for anyone lurking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA2PZBD5Tjg

I just never heard the milk jug one yet. I guess I'll be hearing loads more over the coming years. Heh!

i use it cause a milk jug is roughly the size of the vital area of a speed goat or small deer, if i can hit a gallon jug every time from field positions im ready to hunt.....i get bored shooting paper and prefer reactive targets and gallon jugs filled with water are cheap :D a standard 8 inch paper plate is another good improvised target for the same target size.....though some are obsesed with shooting small groups on paper it has lil to do with most hunting....

I don't think I can hunt much with mine. Only good to about 200 if you push it, and the round is so small.

Can you?

I'm fine punching holes in innocent bits of paper. :) I gotta get up to speed, and then I'll see where I want to go with it.

yeah you can but ild stick to maybe 75 yards with a good expanding bullet......power wise it would be bout the same as hunting with a 357 magnum revolver....not the best hunting rifle but it would work if its what yah had....

That's what I thought. :D

What gets to me is that I can't really compete with it, because it's been so heavily modified. I can only use it in F class, and that's pretty much open to all the oddballs, like a scoped sniper rifle. I'm dead. LOL! Still, I can learn with it, and keep it around if it is ever (pray that it isn't!) needed for it's original use.

In most gas operated weapons, you will experience cycling issues when the barrel wear becomes excessive.
(sks, Fal's etc)

As the barrel wears out, the resistance to the bullet traveling down the bore decreases.
This decrease in resistance results in a lower pressure build up behind the bullet.

This lower pressure then results in a lower pressure differential across the gas port leading from the barrel to the gas piston.
This then results in lower pneumatic horsepower to operate the gas system and the rifle "short cycles"

First indication is not staying open after the last round.
(bolt/carrier is not retracted to the hold open position)

The field repair for this condition is to increase the size of the gas port (assuming the gas piston and cylinder are within specs)
Flow through the port is mainly dependent on 2 variables:
1. Pressure differential across the port
2. size of the port

So we can make up for the loss in pressure differential by increasing port size (to a degree)

Throat erosion at end of the chamber is another issue...

test in the morning ;-)

Av

those are still fun to compete in even if you are out classed, you learn alot and its fun, dont take it serious and just use it as a learning experiance and an interesting way to waste ammo....ive competed in a number of shoots over the years where i was way out of the running equipment wise but it was fun and would often surprise myself with how i did in the running.....just have fun and dont take it serious....

those are still fun to compete in even if you are out classed, you learn alot and its fun, dont take it serious and just use it as a learning experiance and an interesting way to waste ammo....ive competed in a number of shoots over the years where i was way out of the running equipment wise but it was fun and would often surprise myself with how i did in the running.....just have fun and dont take it serious....

Where's the Like button?!? That made me laugh. Yeah, you are absolutely right, every word.

Av, I'll keep an eye out for that. The one time we took it out it didn't have any problems. No stovepipes or really anything abnormal. It flings the brass in the same direction, and hasn't tried to slam fire, either. I was kinda worried about that one, with it's free-floating firing pin. Let's see what happens with a hunnerd rounds this time.

Now if the barrel crown is damaged it wont be accurate...

to check that, wipe it clean, then shoot a box or two of ammo.
Then inspect the end of the barrel (the crown), you should see an even pattern of powder residue, probably in a starburst shape.

don't run the cleaning rod from the crown end, always go from the breech if possible... improper cleaning techniques is usually the cause for crown damage.

I do. I have to use either a bore snake or an inventive approach with the rod, but it's always back-to-front. I'll watch for the carbon pattern. It's squeaky clean right now, ready for action. Just run a dry snake through to get the oil out, and ready for some fun. I have a guide that I use when inserting the rod up the barrel, I have a patch-stuffed patch loop at the ready in the receiver, and I screw the two together when they meet up. PUUUULLLL! I'm getting to like the smell of the cleaning stuff. :D

You really should have been there the day I first used a bore scope. I had to look down the..... I had to look dow..... I had to..... I .... Uh uh. :lol: I crept up on the barrel with my eye like a cat up to a balloon, expecting the pop. Ohhh, it was really, really definitely unloaded, otherwise how could I stick the light down the breach? It was just soooo hard convincing my brain that point. :-))

hmmmm bore scope or bore light?

bore scope is a miniature camera (think endoscope).... but if you did and didn't see any throat erosion you're probably in great shape.

You already have better technique than the vast majority, well done Kt

Bore LIGHT! Darn dumb brain running dumberer fingers.

I have an EXCELLENT teacher. I was chatting with a friend at work about the NOID rifle I just found at home, and he offered to teach me to use it. Little did I know that he's a coach by hobby, and shoots competitively.

you never know how your gonna do in those matches, even if your are out matched equipment wise or think you are....i know a guy that won a revolver match with a 100% original pre WWI revolver going against guys with modern revolvers tuned by smiths and with all the accuracy do dads.....he torqued off alot of guys with high dollar guns that day....he went into the match just looking for fun and didnt think in a million years he would win the match....he just used the Webley cause he loved the gun and thought it would be fun to shoot in a match just once....

Ha ha! That would "torque off" (I like that!) a lot of guys, doing better with a worn out old relic. He he he! I'll aim for a lot of torquing.

A fellow I roomed with in Nacogdoches, Texas talked about a fellow in East Texas who did grudge match racing. He had an old sedan with a push button automatic transmission and he beat everybody. And his rivals hired pros to build and tune their cars to beat him and it never worked.

Back