Likes Likes:  0
Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything that goes BANG!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    A friend of mine wanted me to go to the range with him yesterday to help zero a new scope set up....
    I got up early as benches fill quickly on a Saturday, got all loaded up, then drove the 30 miles to range.

Note on gate "Closed due to Government Shutdown"
    (US Forest Service public range, should have known, but hadn't given it a second thought)

DOH!
    yea Butch that whole situation sucks man!!! anyways I just picked up another toy last night. Gen4 Glock 31 chambered in 357 SIG, love the round "has great barrier penetration" can't wait to head to the range tomorrow and let off a few
    Experience is a great teacher, but she sure does cost a lot!!! --Butch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D'oh! So sorry to hear that. All our local ranges are privately owned, except for my favorite one down the road, county owned, publicly run.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was having lots of rust issues on my daily carry... I've been in contact with the manufacture (Ruger) about it and they were happy to take the slide in, sand blast it, and re-blue it... Well, it's a special edition with laser etchings so I really wasn't up for that. I kinda dropped it and just dealt with rubbing the rust off daily which took up quite a bit of time. After talking with tons of people, I managed to find a small shop here that was willing to toss a coating of blue on top of the etchings, so I contacted Ruger and asked if they would be willing to just take it in and throw a layer over it... and I understood the etchings may be lighter and such- but as long as I could still see it I'd be "ok" with it. I got a reply back the next day with a message from a new person to call them. So I did. Phone tag time! She called back later to inform me, somehow she found a slide! So they sent it down, and I sent mine back.. I'm happy to say that the new one is darker so hopefully that means a better bluing, and so far I am having no issues.

the old (right) and new (left) slides. Looking at them makes you think it's the other way around... But I really feel like the darker color is just a better bluing, or maybe even and extra coat after it was etched. Who knows! I found some other indications that kinda made me feel like my old one wasn't quite "finished" but that may be just me looking for differences between the two. :-p You can definitely see the dimples where the rust likes to grow down in the "shiny from flash" part of the slide.

And the gun how it sits now

-Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    I was having lots of rust issues on my daily carry... I've been in contact with the manufacture (Ruger) about it and they were happy to take the slide in, sand blast it, and re-blue it... Well, it's a special edition with laser etchings so I really wasn't up for that. I kinda dropped it and just dealt with rubbing the rust off daily which took up quite a bit of time. After talking with tons of people, I managed to find a small shop here that was willing to toss a coating of blue on top of the etchings, so I contacted Ruger and asked if they would be willing to just take it in and throw a layer over it... and I understood the etchings may be lighter and such- but as long as I could still see it I'd be "ok" with it. I got a reply back the next day with a message from a new person to call them. So I did. Phone tag time! She called back later to inform me, somehow she found a slide! So they sent it down, and I sent mine back.. I'm happy to say that the new one is darker so hopefully that means a better bluing, and so far I am having no issues.

the old (right) and new (left) slides. Looking at them makes you think it's the other way around... But I really feel like the darker color is just a better bluing, or maybe even and extra coat after it was etched. Who knows! I found some other indications that kinda made me feel like my old one wasn't quite "finished" but that may be just me looking for differences between the two. :-p You can definitely see the dimples where the rust likes to grow down in the "shiny from flash" part of the slide.
    I have had some rust issues with my all steel parkerized 1911, sweat would settle into the area where the grips meet the frame. I ended up having to just lightly coat that area pretty much every time I carried it. My daily carry is a Sig 2022 9mm, which has a stainless steel slide that is finished black. Sweat has coated that thing before, with no ill affects.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW,
    everyone has their fav products but....

Eezox is highly regarded for its corrosion protection abilities
    (but as a general rule, keep off plastic and wood)
    For heirloom pieces and wood stocks, I like to use Renaissance Wax
    It can be used on both wood and metal finishes,

As a general rule, avoid anything that contains silicones on wood finishes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because NOTHING sticks to silicone, and it NEVER comes off. Same goes for your hand lotion, mind the ingredients.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is known to cause some wood stock finishes to bubble over time...

Johnson's paste wax is awfully good, and easy to source
    (metal and wood finishes)

avoid car wax

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7wu4zce101...0ON%20WOOD.pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iutk3yru08...D%20OTHERS.pdf
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 10-08-2013 at 05:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh, and that too. Learned something new.
    My WWWs