Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything that goes BANG!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took a couple higher-res shots of the Ruger, sans scope (because I forgot to put it on). I'm not a fan of all black rifles, but that's what I got, it shoots well, so I'll keep it that way until I can get a nicer, more ergonomic stock. Still, the kids on the public outreach day seem to be gravitated to it, and that's the whole point, to get them interested. It does kind of look like an eeevil sniper rifle, LOL! Until they see the stock.....

I have no shame, I know.

Here are the targets from yesterday's practice. Bench rest, 50', Eley edge ammo, no scope. The first target, front and back, was me zeroing the rear sight. There's something wrong, I think that the front sight post is bent to one side. The front and rear sights are so annoying! I need to get a better set, really really. I pasted three or four times, this is about 50 rounds total.

The next group of ten looked OK. It's really hard seeing my shots when the target is up against the wall. Hard to see black holes against a black bull. That one flier? That's when my neighbor decided to switch to his .45 semi-auto, just as I was reaching the break point on the trigger. He went BANG, I jumped, and missed.

Next one. Embarrassing. I was trying to shoot through the noise. Fuhgeddaboutit.

Last one. I waited until Hotshot ran out of mags, and stopped to reload. Much better! I was told to shoot bench rest "for now," I assume until I start getting really tiny groups, then move on to prone, etc.

For those not as familiar with the TQ-1 50' rifle target, here's a little comparison.

I suppose that it's time for me to switch to the 11-bull competition air rifle targets. I can't tell where each shot is going, because they're too close. The bulls are about the same size, you just hit each one once or twice, and make it much easier to score.

(BTW, Andrew, I love, love, LOVE the auto-save feature! I blitzed and accidentally lost my post, and just got it right back.)
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice Lil!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More practice yesterday, after spending all morning working on the truck. Alternator R&R, FTW.

I started using the competition smallbore targets. I shoot each one once, and then go back around again. This way I can see my shots without them piling up into one big raggedy hole. This is the Ruger, shooting at 50'. This time I ditched the bench rest, and used a sling with my elbows on the bench, kinda like a sort-of standing prone. Or something like that. It's time for me to start working in prone, ditch the bench.

They're not perfect, but getting better.

Then I got to try a Colt 1911 A1 .45 pistol at 20 feet. I'm told that this isn't bad for a rookie. I haven't had much pistol trigger time at all, none previous with a .45.

Moving on to a Smith and Wesson double action K22 revolver. Fun little six banger, though a bit front-heavy for me, not nearly as well balanced for my hand as the Colt. Still.... By this time I was getting tired, I'm really not used to holding out a pistol for an hour plus.

My WWWs

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice shooting Katie, excellent by anyone's standard....
    but the colored dots have got to go hehehehehe (just teasing ya)

I got the Finn out yesterday, my first shots with it... as expected it shot way high at 100 yrds, I was just barely hitting the top of the target
    (they were originally zeroed for 200 meters)
    Plus I was flinching a little knowing that when she goes bang that metal butt plate makes shoulder go owie LOL
    Performed flawlessly, I was shooting current production 182g Serbian ammo.

(cheesey cell phone pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your range. Cozy!

Heh heh heh! Colored dots stay...

Thanks for the encouragement. Now I gotta find me a pistol that fits my hand. The colt sure did, and I really like the grip safety.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spent some quality time in the woods Saturday, put some meat on the table too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmmm, chow time!

Gonna tan the fuzzy side?
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
    Mmmm, chow time!

Gonna tan the fuzzy side?
    Nah, never do anything with the hides, just eat the good parts!