What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anything that goes BANG!

FWIW,
everyone has their fav products but....

Eezox is highly regarded for its corrosion protection abilities
(but as a general rule, keep off plastic and wood)
For heirloom pieces and wood stocks, I like to use Renaissance Wax
It can be used on both wood and metal finishes,

As a general rule, avoid anything that contains silicones on wood finishes.

Because NOTHING sticks to silicone, and it NEVER comes off. Same goes for your hand lotion, mind the ingredients.

Ahh, and that too. Learned something new. :D

get your 10/22 Katie?

I need to go to the DMV first. Moving sucks, and I didn't think that having the old addy on the driver's license card mattered, until I learned it matters to the FFL. Oooops. I'm going to see if I can do it online. After that, I have nearly half the dough, and am working a bunch of overtime to get the rest.

Wait, so once you clean the firearm and apply Eezox and let it dry... How often do you need to reapply?? Right now I wipe my gun down with some type of oil every night when I start taking stuff off. That whole page only mentions " a quick bore cleaning and wipe down after each time you fire will suffice." But what about daily use? What do I need to do at the end of each day/week/month? Man, if I could drop the wipe down every night thing, that would be fantastic! haha FAQ doesn't answer this either.

Sounds very promising! I have a box full of products from trying to stop this thing from rusting with the last slide... I sure as heck will add another. :)

I've heard good things about Break Free. But I haven't used it long enough, or anything else for that matter, to have much of my own opinion yet.

Break free is in my box. LOL and Barricade, one shot, Ballistol, Amsoild MP, Hoppes something, and a few other things. hahahaha

Wait, so once you clean the firearm and apply Eezox and let it dry... How often do you need to reapply?? Right now I wipe my gun down with some type of oil every night when I start taking stuff off. That whole page only mentions " a quick bore cleaning and wipe down after each time you fire will suffice." But what about daily use? What do I need to do at the end of each day/week/month? Man, if I could drop the wipe down every night thing, that would be fantastic! haha FAQ doesn't answer this either.

Sounds very promising! I have a box full of products from trying to stop this thing from rusting with the last slide... I sure as heck will add another. :)

Andrew,

Here is a LCP based thread about it, and there is a youtube video about it and LCP's
http://rugerforum.net/maintenance/20058-eezox.html

I just apply it when it occurs to me or after taking my LCP to the range... Mine is my CCW as well, but corrosion has never been a problem with mine.
I cant say for sure its the Eezox or maybe a combination of factors at play, but.... I have to assume the Eezox is doing its job.

How often you would need to apply would depend on many factors I guess.
But it really is great corrosion protection and is recommended by some very respected gunsmiths I know.

I definitely prefer dry lubricants for CCW use...

Read that whole thing and still didn't see a mention of how often to reapply, in a normal safe situation or CCW one. I watched a LCP video last night after you mentioned this stuff and he showed how he applies it and blah blah... I submitted a comment to him about how often to re-apply also. :p

Hopefully mine was truly a case of the gun didn't have a great bluing. The only other thing I wondered if it helped cause the issue was my leather case. I just ordered a hybrid holster (leather backing kydex gun holder) a couple evenings ago. http://www.shtfgear.com/Holster-by-Make/ruger?product_id=226 But I guess this stuff is dry anyway so you don't have to worry about the leather holster eating up the oil and leaving the gun unprotected either.

I'm very excited to give a dry lubricant a shot. I know after each day my gun has captured quite a bit of stuff on the parts that still manage to have a layer of oil on them.
Thanks man

my sexy Springfield XDM .45 compact

gonna get some night sights, recoil kit, trigger kit, extra mags and maybe a crimson trace. But prob will not need the laser; depends on the night sights bc this thing is accurate.

102_0941_zps9ba95172.jpg

and with extended mag (13 rounds of .45 acp with a very comfy grip; love the capacity):

102_0943_zps40b8f5ce.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to shoot that... I am looking at gettting xdm 9mm sc for heavier carry days... My understanding is the triggers are supper nice- and recoil springs... ehhhhh It seems most experts agree that you shouldn't mess with those too much from what I've seen and read. I tried changing my xd .40 and it had some reliability issues... went right back to factory setting and it has been there ever since.

I really want an XDS once they get the bugs worked out.

I was looking at that... and then.... yeah. lol for a little more size the xdm seems to hold lots more ammo

I was looking at that... and then.... yeah. lol for a little more size the xdm seems to hold lots more ammo

That it does, but I already have my double stack carry gun, and my wife can conceal a single stack more easily.

Yesterday afternoon I got "volunteered" by a friend to help out at another club's free range event. Anyone can walk in and learn to shoot. I expected to be asked to hand out targets, cook the burgers, or traffic control, so I was very surprised to find a "Range Officer" badge modified to read "Range Staff", clipped on, and me told to go get busy coaching rookies. At one point I had to get a crash course in revolver operation: I can't teach what I don't know! I took a few shots at 50', and only saw the smiley face when I reeled it in.

Today I meant to shoot in the annual SCVRC vs. Zouaves AR15 match, but the guy with the club ARs didn't get the memo and didn't bring them. Instead, I had even MORE fun by following the match director, learning just how easy it is to run one, watching everyone else shoot and their styles, and running the target crew. At one point we had to drive back and grab one more target. I told the two clinging to the tailgate to get off and get ready to shoot, but they stuck on for some reason. Really, how many shooters does it take to change a 4' x 4' cardboard target? LOL! Their mistake, they got all excited and worked up when they should have been resting and letting the heart settle.

A couple cool shots.

I don't think I ever posted my first rifle target from back in .... July. Good, I did date it. It's up on my wall. Half and half, M14 and M1 garand (ouch). The circled shots at the top aren't mine. This shows that one, I do have potential, and two, the carbine certainly needs help. (I know, I know, it's just a carbine, but I think that it can do better. The first few shots each morning are good, Xs and 10s.) Edit: I remember why my shots started drifting up as the morning wore on. We were pasting off-color, and as the holes and masking tape built up, the black dot slowly turned white, and invisible. Ha ha ha! It get really darned hard to see.

Today after the match, lunch and awards, the line was opened up for a little fun shooting. A new friend let me try his M1 carbine. It's nice, shooting what mine *should* be like. I got about the same group, interestingly enough. The owner was amazed, apparently he doesn't get those results. Heh. My excuse for not shooting a little better? I was kinda tired. ;)

Last edited:
A buddy of mine told me I had never taken a decent pic of my Savage, and what do you know, I hadn't! So I did, or tried to.

Need to camo the stock, but may wait till after deer season.

Nice still .... life? Hah! Nice composition.

What do all-a-ya'll use for log books? I'm looking fort an upgrade for my notepad. Kilo, your picture reminded me.

Nice still .... life? Hah! Nice composition.

What do all-a-ya'll use for log books? I'm looking fort an upgrade for my notepad. Kilo, your picture reminded me.

I actually have two log books for this gun, but that's because of it's role as a long range precision rifle. The one you see pictured is a "write in the rain" notebook that I keep track of round count and ammo type, as well as cleanings etc. If I were to sell the rifle, that book would go with it, or it can be used to tell me if I need to replace a barrel, or other things. My other notebook is a shooting log book, I record my zeros, my adjustments due to conditions or range, my results from said adjustments and all sorts of info in that. It is basically a reference guide to what the rifle has done/should do in certain circumstances. Here is an example of what I plan to buy. http://stormtactical.com/70lbpapercoil.htm

That is the only rifle I keep books on though.

Back