What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anything that goes BANG!

i cant say much bout the colored dots....dont have the rifle anymore as i traded it for my Kimber 84M but i had a purty rifle at one point

never used them but if you like that kind of military style sight they ought to be fine for the ranges your gonna shoot a 22 at anyway....

on a seperate note, someone posed a "whats the oldest box of ammo you have laying around" thread on the hunting and shooting site im on and i took this pic for me:

the 7x57 i believe is from 1914......the 6.5 from the 50's.....if im sdeciphering the codes right anyway

Wow, those are old. I don't have any old boxes of ammo, but I do have a couple .22 cartridges from the 30's and 40's. They came in with an ammo donation to the club. LOL! Some got tried and didn't fire, some got caught before issue to a newbie, and were sent straight to my "collection."

What sights would you recommend? I'm looking for something that's easy to adjust and low against the receiver.

actually i would prolly go with something like you posted.....looks like they will work fine....usually im a fan of Lyman sights like was fitted to your carbine but they dont have a good model for a 10/22.....i also like ghost ring sights but they are a hunting sight not a target sight and are not what you want for shooting targets the way you do....thats what ive got on my Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 and love them.....but its a brush hunting gun not a paper punching gun....

OK. When I can next do so, I'll get the set.

You mean the Williams sights, right? Yeah, that one's a pain, but it does work well.

sorry, i mainly mess with older rifles....Williams and Lyman are about the same except Lyman is the older company so they are who i am used to seeing on 75-100 year old rifles.....both make or made the same sorts of receiver sights....

how do you make a 577 Nitro round look small? place it next to some cannon rounds :D just got a couple new rounds for the cartridge collection

left to right
30-06
7mm Rem Mag
405 Win
45-70
470 Nitro
577 Nitro
20x110mm cannon
30x173 cannon round for the GAU-8A gattling gun that is in the A-10 Warthog

How and where did you get those? Neat! All mine are common rejects, picked up at the range, except the couple "dummy" .50 BMG. One is armor piercing.

bought them off Gunbroker.com, an auction site.....they are dummy rounds, not sure the reason for the 20 but the 30 is a dummy round that is used to test the feeding system of the gattling gun when they are working on it so they can test it without the risks of using live ammo.... no worries of depleted uranium used in the real 30x173 rounds and most importantly a fraction of the cost of a real round but you get the same physical presence....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Large-Bore-Inert-Cannon-Ammo/BI.aspx

the others are either from guns i own/owned or with some like the 470 and 577 round ive either bought from people or ones people gave me....

Last edited:
how do you make a 577 Nitro round look small? place it next to some cannon rounds :D just got a couple new rounds for the cartridge collection

left to right
30-06
7mm Rem Mag
405 Win
45-70
470 Nitro
577 Nitro
20x110mm cannon
30x173 cannon round for the GAU-8A gattling gun that is in the A-10 Warthog

Ok, now I gotta drag my collection out...

lol thats not everything though i dont have a very big collection.....just threw some rounds up some with less experiance with rifles might be familiar with along with some big bores to show against the cannon rounds.....

My humble ammo collection. This is about it, there are a couple duplicates, and one reload FAIL that won't stand up-- the primer got set in sideways. :lol:

Eventually I'll buff them up and put them in a shadow box. I gotta get me a cannon round or two!

Let's see if I can list them all. As long as I can read the head stamp, I can......

L -> R
.50 BMG
.30-06 (special hog round)
.30-06
.223 plastic tip
.223 semi-AP 2X
.223 plastic tip
.223 standard
.38 special
.357 magnum
.357 magnum semi-jacketed hollow point
NOID wadcutter
.45 auto (semi wadcutter??)
.45 auto this one's "special"-- primer is in completely backwards. LOL!
.45 ACP fractaling hollow point of some sort
.40 another fractaling deal (I *think* that's what they are -- don't shoot me!)
.40 S&W flat-nose, 2X
9 mm luger semi jacketed flat nose (brass clad??)
9 mm luger in three flavors, another brass jacketed (??), one aluminum case, one standard
9 mm luger fractalling hollow point (pressed in too far during reloading)
.22 lr, 2X dating back to the 20s and 30s

Front row: NOID .... thing .... found at the range. It's really danged hollow, and has no rifling marks. ROs, shooting buddies, clueless. Completely copper clad lead ... slug.
.25 ACP fired bullet

The .30-06 and .22, the former being valuable and the latter being historic, are live; the rest have been de-milled. Most of these I got from a bin of reload and range floor rejects someone gathered and then got bored with.

Oh, SNAP! I forgot to add a couple to the lineup, which I already packed away again. Oh, well. I'll get those later; .30 carbine (duuuuuuh!) and .22 lr flat nose. The Eley .22s just plain look cool, all black cases and bullets.

Have you seen the recent NOVA episode on the JFK case? I'm not going to provide the link because some of the image is graphic. However, the episode focused on gun and ammunition comparisons and shooting reconstruction.

No, I didn't. I don't have much (any) TV access, and no DVR.

NOVA episodes are free to watch from the PBS website.

Back